1. holdemhook22

holdemhook22 New Member

I was bank fishing at this local lake which i reguarly fish and i got there early and fished for about 5 hours and didnt catch anyting to big, well anyway i put a huge blue gill on one of my last rods and this was one of those times i thought i doubt that one will get a bite, well about 30 minutes later i hear the drag screaming, i went and set the hook and it was on there for about 15 seconds stripping drag then got off, i was pissed lol, when i reeled in the hook was lodged in the bluegill so the cat couldnt get hooked, man i was mad that was probally pretty big considering how fast it was stripping drag and how hard it was bending a stiff 12" elimintator, it was one of those times you knew you just missed your personal record lol. well i just had to get that off my mind, it was most probally a flathead too considering the lake and how far i was off bank.
  2. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

York/Harrisburg, PA
    Its never fun to lose a big fish, you just need to learn from those experiences.

3. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

Rising Sun, IN
    I read an interesting article in In-Fisherman about how to hook big baits for flatheads. They recommend using some strong braided line (60-100 pound test) and tieing that to your main hook then tieing a smaller hook onto that. the line only needs to be 1/2 inch or shorter. The smaller hook holds your bait and keeps the big hook free to do it's job. I haven't tried this yet but have had bait get double hooked and caused me to lose fish so i am definately going to try it this year! Thought this might help with the problem
  4. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

clk. tn
    Had similar instances happen to me, especialy in the bays in New Jersey. Some people reported catching sharks in the bays, but I never hooked one. Those were some good times for me fishing the bays back then.
  5. Barry Nelson

Barry Nelson New Member

sorry to hear ya missed him
  6. odtimr

odtimr New Member

Welcome to the BOC you got a question this site has the answers. Take a little time to look thru the library, do a little search time. Lots of info on gills and cats. I use to figure use as large a hook till looks unreasonable and then double the size is about right. Remember that spot and conditions and do it again you’ll get her sooner or later. Luck