Missed fish

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by DMFW_5, Sep 10, 2009.

1. DMFW_5

DMFW_5 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Does anybody have a system for baitclickers. I've missed several fish this year using my baitclicker, I use 6-8 inch carp with a 8/0 or 9/0 kahle hook near the tail behind the dorsal fin. When the bc starts singing I turn the clicker off let it run a few seconds flip the spool and set the hook. I can feel the fish and then it goes slack I dont know if im hooking back into the bait or what but I've missed some nice ones because of this. Thank you for any advice you can give.

2. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    You might try switching to circle hooks and going using the passive hookset.

3. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    ive had smae problem on kahles and circles

4. mattr

mattr New Member

State:
    PA
    make sure you aren't burying the gap into the carp, just hook enough of it to stay on the hook, don't close that gap up.

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with Matt on this one. Make sure the point is exposed.

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Circle hooks are the best for myself. Maybe a bit smaller bait might have caughten the fish you lost.

7. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I am not a huge fan of BIG baits for this reason.
    When I do use big baits I use a 10KK and TIGHT line.:wink:

8. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I agree with Kyle on this. Most of the time when fishing fro flats I use 9's or bigger and I do not use the Clicker. To me this is when a good pole with a softer tip comes in to play when fishing for flatheads.

9. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    This may sound kind of silly,and it's kind of hard to explain,but I'll try. Sometimes when using big baits I was having problems with the hookset going back into the bait,what corrected 90% of these bad hooksets was a simple rubber band. I fish with J style hooks most of the time and hook thru the back behind the dorsalfin of the bait. What I do is take a short wide rubber band and holding it flat with the two sides pressed together I put my hook through the double layer of rubber band about 1/4 to 1/2 inch from one edge of the rubber band,next hook your bait on pushing the rubber band with one side of your bait till the bait is where you want it setting on the hook,then grab the long end(s) of your rubber band and stretch it up and over your baits back and down over your hook point past the barb,it's kinda like a seat belt for your bait,it'll most times keep your hook and bait positioned correctly so you don't/can't set back into your bait ,and will help keep a lively bait on the hook. give it a try,it's been working really good for me.

almost forgot to add that sugical tubing works really good for this too if you have some handy!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  10. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    IMO freespooling is a great tool in lakes and ponds, but from my experience it has no place on the river.
    If you have to have the clicker, back the drag off so that when he is hooked he can take line. Keep the reel engaged.
    Tight linin with a clicker, best of both worlds.:smile2:

11. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Great Idea I think I am going to try this tonight an see if I can cast a little deeper out.

12. catmandoo22

catmandoo22 New Member

State:
    ohio
    how are you setting the hook? a straight up pull or a side sweeping motion?....try the sweeping motion if your not already, especially with circle and off-set hooks. i agree with the other guys....smaller bait and tight line. i wouldnt think it would be smaller fish nailing your line considering the fact that there hitting 6-8 in carp, but you never know....a small one can make your clicker sing just as well as a big one....goodluck man

13. DMFW_5

DMFW_5 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks guys I caught a 6 pound channel with my big baits with a 9/0 last week and missed three others that felt pretty hefty. Like I said the line is tight when i set the hook but when i bring the rod tip down and reel it goes slack on the next pull. I think ill try a little smaller bait and tight line. My luck with circle hooks is no better but ill try them again this weekend. Thanks again for the help.

14. arkrivercatman

State:
    KS
    May be gar:sad2: or turtles.:angry:

15. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas

Why are you dropping the tip? Set the hook reel and reel some more. Only play the fish if you need to. I let the fish play the pole, that is when having a great poles comes into play. I bet if you did not drop the tip and just kept reeling the hook up rate would go up.

16. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    in my misses, which happen every time i go out lol, i am fairly certain it aint turtles, and the gar there arent very big...BUT it gator gar are there and i dont know it, it could be a possibility.

17. DMFW_5

DMFW_5 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I drop the tip and reel to keep the line tight so I can get them turned. I use quantum m/h big cat 7'10" rods they seem to be pretty good rods but idk.

18. Dsage

Dsage Active Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    I have seen a lot of spit hook when the tips go down, even if you are still reeling line in. Are you fishing real heavy cover that you have to turn them so fast?

19. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    yea using circles :wink: , i bet if he threw those khales away his hook up rate would go up. khales IMO are the worst hook ever made period!!!! J's or 0's. also for shareing my valueable information with him he should pm me the were abouts of were hes getting theise baby carp he's got :wink::cool2:

20. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    :sad2::sad2::confused2::confused2:

Each his own!!!