Missed a nice big buck!

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by flathead willie, Nov 16, 2008.

1. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I'm mad as heck! Yesterday was the gun opener. I was hunting a property that has at least three real nice bucks that have been seen several times. I usually hunt for meat, but since I have 4 in the freezer already, I decided to hunt for a big one. it was rainy and windy, just a miserable day. I chose to sit in an old abandoned calf stall where I could stay dry and overlook an over grown field bordered by planted pines on one side and hardwoods on the other. When it finally got light enough to see, I saw a doe about 150 yards away. As I watched her, I saw another one come from the hardwoods. She was trotting diagonally across the field heading to the pines. 150 yards behind her was a real nice buck chasing her. He finally stopped trotting when he was about 200 yards out, at the edge of the pines. I thought this is going to be easy! I put the cross hairs on him and squeezed off the shot. He ran about 30 yards and stopped again, I shot again, he jumped and took a couple more steps. I shot again. He got into the edge of the pines and turned broadside. I shot again, and he took off into the pines. I knew something was wrong. After waiting a few minutes, I walked across the field to look for blood before the rain washed it away. NOTHING! As I looked for blood, I saw the buck cutting through the pines above me on the mountain. Last year I got a nice 8 pointer in the same place at 275 yards with one shot. It should have been real easy at that range.
    I had loaned my rifle to a friend who was making a movie last month and just got it back a few days before the hunt. I had a sick feeling that someone had moved my scope. I went back to the barn and got a target I left there during black powder season. I put it out at 100 yards and fired a few shots. Sure enough, the shots were a foot high and 8 inches to the right. I had been holding a bit high and the shots all went over the bucks back. I was disgusted! I got it sighted back in and sat there the rest of the day and never saw another deer. That was the first real wall hanger I've seen in the last few years and I blew it. I can't blame anyone but myself. I know I should have sighted in after loaning it to someone.

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Don't cha just hate a "choke"??:embarassed:

On the bright side, you did not cripple him! :big_smile:

3. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Sorry Willie. I feel your pain.

4. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    That does suck! Hope you get another chance at him!!!

5. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Ouch, but then again i was meant to be, saving the biggest for your next outing......:wink:

6. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    That does suck Willie.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Billie,I learned a long time ago,There are a few things way too precious to me to loan out,My guns and my wife:wink::crazy:

8. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    Yea, I usually don't take more than two shots at a deer. I figure if I can't get with two, it wasn't meant to be. That was such an impressive deer, I just had to keep shooting. Anyway, now I'm dialed back in and there are more deer out there. They are just going into rut, and tomorrow is another day! I've never seen a big buck more then once before killing it, but there are others around. If I don't get him, maybe one of the others will show up.

9. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Yep the next thing we'll see on here is you and that new record buck! :big_smile:

10. flathead willie

State:
    Virginia
    That would be nice, but I've got a few that will be hard to beat! :wink:

11. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Best of luck on your quest for the big one or the one that got away.
    And stop loaning your gun out.

12. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Loaned your gun out, then didn't shoot it before season to be sure it was still on...... hmmmmm....... sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. Darn the luck Billie.

13. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Two things I never loan out to anybody. Money and my guns. Usually never get the money back and the guns. Well Willie you found out the hard way! Darn the luck! Keep at it! There's bound to be a monster in the woods with your name on it. Dialed back in and ready to rock! Go for it!:wink:

14. rairdog

rairdog New Member

State:
    IN
    Sorry to hear that you missed. I was hunting with my buddy this weekend and he missed 3 deer with 4 shots. He rarely misses. I was standing over his shoulder for 2 of them. I asked what shells he used to sight it in. 3 inch he said. I asked why he bought 2 3/4 at wally world. He was shooting a foot low.

15. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    Willie goes Hollywood,lol. Willie i'd check the whole scope, mounts and all, some knuckle head may have turned the windage and elevations, and that same knuckle head may of had the scope off the rifle, resighting ain't going to fix a loose mounting nut and you may find your self in the same spot on that next good buck. good luck hunting.

16. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I feel your pain, Willie. I choked on a nice buck yesterday. I've been getting closer, and closer to A real nice buck. I've seen him everyday for at least 4 days. I kept moving in closer till yesterday, I hunted The other side of the river, where we've seen him run to. and in no time at all I had does all over me. I was trying to pick the woods apart looking for antlers. I heard something in the grass and looked down, He was right under me @ 5 yards, And stopped. I had to wait for him to put his head down, or start walking to draw. It seemed like forever. By this time I was shaking, cold, and buck fever had set in really good. He turned to walk away and I could'nt even get my bow broke over. By the time I did, the arrow fell off the rest. I got it straight, and he was too far into the brush to shoot. And looking right at me. Then considering I just blew the buck into the next county I decided to take another doe. the next adult that walked in I drew back and settled the sight pin on her vitals. I released and my string made a slap noise on my jacket. It didnt throw the arrow off, but it made her flinch. She swung around and the arrow went right through the right side of her jaw out the left, and stapled her head to her spine. She dropped in her tracks. I watched her struggle for a bit. and I was gonna climb down and finish her off with a knife if she did'nt expire. She finally put her head down and got still. I sat back down to hunt for awhile. About a half an hour later the @#%*() got up and stumbled off !!!! I could'nt believe it. I came down immediately and started dogging her. but she composed herself enough to trot off. we lost the blood trail and her.. I felt really sorry for this animal. I usually get pretty clean shots but She ran off with her bottom jaw falling off, and her skull was crushed I guarantee. So, at least you can blame your misfortunes on equipment failures. I have to eat mine.....I simply got rattled, and choked.
    :sad2:

17. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Seems every time I FILL a buck tag the only 1 in KY a few days later there comes a bigger one hang in there it will happen !

18. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Sorry to hear that! Well that is why its hunting not killing:wink: but that is why we hunt, ya just never know