Missed a few flathead catfish this weekend.

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by cherokee laker, Jul 10, 2006.

1. cherokee laker

cherokee laker New Member

State:
    georgia
    My father and I went to the Hughes Old River this weekend and put out a flathead rig, with a salt water cork, while we were fishing for shellcrackers and channels.
    There is no current at this time so the rig can float without drifting.
    He hung three different cats, after fighting the fish for a little bit, we would find that the cat had bitten the bait right behind the hook, or the tail. We would find a perfect imprint of a large mouth, where the bait fish had been "scaled." I glimpsed one as he came by the boat, I would say he was 20 to 25 pounds.........right before he spit the bait out.
    We have changed strategy alittle bit, We started rigging with a second hook, attached by a short leader to the main hook, hanging right in front of the tip of the tail.

We'll see how it goes.

CL

2. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've had days where the fish will just gum the baits, the trailer hook idea is always a good one. I used to use a trailer hook all the time and just about everytime, the fish would hook itself on the trailor hook and not the leading hook.

3. cherokee laker

State:
    georgia
    That makes me feel better...........thanks

4. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    When that happens I'd do the same thing..put that stinger in the bait fish tail and see who gets the last laugh!! Salmon out here don't just swim up and eat the bait fish. They smack it with their tails to stun the herring..then come back and nail it. We have a rig that we use with one hook through the head and another through the tail or lower body section. It's just one leader about 12-18in. long but one of the hooks slides up or down on the leader line to adjust to the size of your bait. Puts a halt on that short bite stuff.
    Try it...Works for us.:amazed: :big_smile_2: :ah:
    Don

5. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Have you ever seen a king fish rig? this might help you guys out. Its a little stouter than a trailer hook.

6. shortbus

shortbus New Member

State:
    indiana
    So what size of stinger hooks are you using? I wouldn't think a little tiny treble hook would be able to handle a large flathead would it?

7. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    when that starts to happen with a slip float i let em hold it under for a few extra seconds than i normally would.....or just switch to a smaller bait

8. qball

qball New Member

State:
    Odum, Ga
    Come on laker you can do better than that. Oh wait a second I was down there a week ago and did about the same. I did hook in to some but they beat me to the logs.

9. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I thought they always ate the baitfish head first (least all the cats I catch on live bait, they are)... Stinger hook good idea

10. okie catfishen

okie catfishen New Member

State:
    Newcastle, Oklahoma
    My brother and I went pop-up-fish-a-noodlen this last weekend and we were having the same problem with our jugs poping up and taking of across the lake and when we get to them with the boat we pull on the jug line and the fish lets go of the bait. When we get the hook up all that is left is the head of the bait fish. The jug line would be 100 yards from were I set it. I drift fish my jugs on a small lake. I use 10 feet of line with #4 circle hooks.

11. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Tough break, Brother. But, your strategy of adding the second hook will probably pay off the next time.

12. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Trailer hooks always help.

13. cherokee laker

State:
    georgia
    Thanks ya'll..........boy this place is great for getting new ideas and discounting some bad ones.........
    thanks again

14. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Can anyone post some pics of their trailer hook setups?

15. STUMPKNOCKER

STUMPKNOCKER New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Laker, if you were at the mouth of the old river where the current breaks and eddys, we have fished it and fought gars, guess they like the break in current there, probly some of your hits were gars as most gars scale your bait, also me and ben have not caught a flattie last three times, like watchin a stump rot, dunno whats up with them, gonna go again tommorow, we have been from lake bluff to above pig farm in every bend dang near , good luck.

16. cherokee laker

State:
    georgia
    Carl, I thought at first it was a gar, but I caught a glimpse of the last one.......he was definatley a flattie.........we're actually in the Old river, with no current.

Watch out for a pm