Missed a big one

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by smitty1963, Jul 21, 2008.

1. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Went fishing on the Chickahominy River last night and had a good time it started out well enough my first fish was a small channel about 3 to 4 pounds, baited back up put it back in the water and not two minutes later the bait clicker started going crazy, I let it run for a bit to make sure mr. whiskers had it then I set the hook,,,, OHBOY
    I thought for sure I had set the hook into a greyhound bus I fought it for a good 20 minutes got it up to the dock and was reaching down to stick my hand in its mouth of which I could have easily done had my line not BROKE!!!!! That blue cat had the head the size of a large dog, oh well. Didnt catch anything else but had a blast with the one that got away next time I will put new line on my reel before I go out:smile2:

2. JPritch

JPritch New Member

State:
    Lynchburg, VA
    WOW...great story Smitty. Sorry to hear you couldn't land the big one, but the fight I'm sure was awesome. What kind of tackle and line were you using?

3. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    30lb mono, 7 1/2 ft medium action pole and a penn cl6000 spinning reel

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like a great trip, too bad you didn't get him in. I would get right back out there and get that sucker, sounds like a real big fish

5. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    Still a bummer but I'm sure it was a fun fight.
    later
    david

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for sharing your fishing trip. Losing one now and then is just part of fishing. Update with new line.

7. Leftenant

Leftenant New Member

State:
    NC
    Great to hear you hooked into the one you've been after. I hope you had a glove on though. Those big Blues will take a decent amount of skin off with one good head shake. Think about investing in a landing net. Believe me, they are well worth the money. Another benefit is not putting so much stress on your line when you get the fish near the bank. The Flatheads are okay to lip, but still much easier with a net. Sounds like an enjoyable night. Tight lines!!!!!!!!!!!

David

8. smitty1963

smitty1963 New Member

State:
    Virginia
    I may have missed a big one but this morning at 3AM I hooked into a 28 inch blue cat on the James River felt like I was pulling in a log until I got him close to the bank then he decided he wanted to fight:smile2: Unfortunately I dont have scales or I would have weighed him anyway I will post a picture as soon as I find my usb cable to my camera.