Missed a big gar yesterday!!

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by StuBone278, Jan 21, 2007.

1. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    Well the afternoon started off rough... getting the boat out of a mud pit, moving it deep enough to get the outboard situated while fighting current, and finally setting off with no bait in the bait bucket for catfish.:sad2:

My friend Matt and I decided to drift an inside bend, a flat, if you will, to try to catch at least a few baitfish. I would throw the cast net off the front of the boat while he kept us from running into jams/branches. About the second or third cast I had something BIGGG... a carp, I think its a carp! NO! Behind the 8' mono cast net was a HUGE gar tail thrashing! Holy crap! I had a huge GAR!! The water was 51 degrees and this big thing was in 2 feet of water!! I started to pull the net into the boat and the gar let go of the net...he had BITTEN THE CAST NET!!! Dumbfounded and shaking, we paddled back to the exact same spot where I had casted and threw again.....the net started running sideways again..I HAD IT AGAIN!!! This time I got a CLEAR view of how big it was, and having seen my cousins 10 pounder up close, I would have to say it was almost double that size! 15-20 pounds, a BIGGUN! Got it up to the boat this time, when I started to go to grab for it he let go of the net...

The most interesting thing about this whole story is that this huge longnose was sitting in 2 feet of water....in 50 degree water! Most would say that gar would just sit in a deep hole, but maybe they dont....the gar patterns aren't really tracked, so this could be of useful information. Also how this gar tenaciously attacked the net TWO times in a row! I don't know, but as its cold I'll still be trying to figure out this fish.

As for catfishing, we caught a 1 pound mullet in the cast net, cut it up, and caught a 12oz. blue catfish, a few piles of brush, and a crawfish.:tounge_out:

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Good story. One question - what would you have done if you would have got that big boy in the boat? :crazy:

3. StuBone278

StuBone278 New Member

State:
    south central Louisiana
    CPR man! I wouldn't eat anything out the Vermilion anyways, heheh.

4. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    thats pretty wild ,having a gar try to eat your net .At least you caught a little bait and a good blue thanks for the report

5. rebelzgrl76

rebelzgrl76 New Member

State:
    CO
    Good story, that is a huge gar! Thanks for posting. Goes to show ya, never know what you'll catch sometimes.

6. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Hey Stu,
    Good story,Thanks for sharing.
    What does everyone do with the gars after they catch them?
    I would be interested in getting some gar scales.
    Anybody know where on might obtain some?
    Thanks

7. F150Catfish

F150Catfish New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Good story! thanks for sharing!