Miss The Good Old Days?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by SweetSymphony672, Jul 14, 2008.

1. SweetSymphony672

SweetSymphony672 New Member

State:
    England
    I know I'm only a teen but I remember when I was younger, back
    in the 90's I was pretty safe, I could easily rome around my area and come back safe and happy.
    I remember the music, VH1 playing the latest music and bringing
    back memories from as far as the 70's.
    We knew the neighbourhood and the people around us, now we don't really seem to know anyone that lives 2 doors beyond us.
    When the Play Station 1 came out and how excited people got about it, buying any game they could just to see the graphics on there.

The telelvision shows that came on, from gameshows to reality shows to soap operas. The children's telelvision that came on at a ridiculous time on Saturday mornings!

Now has all changed, you've got god knows what "songs" coming out of your radio talking about only 1 thing: "sexy" men or "sexy" women...please!
    Most of us won't set foot in the street beyond 6pm because we could end up with wounds from being beaten up for standing up for yourself!
    Also, the latest gadgets or technology or consoles let you talk to people all over the world via game, download any music you want faster than a speeding bullet (superman!! lol), you can even clone animals and make glow in the dark rabbits! Too much for me to be honest!

Television has changed as well, I don't watch it anymore but it's gone downhill, taken over by REALITY t.v shows and nothing but.

Do you miss the good old days?
    I know I do, although it was the 90's...lol

2. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    i remember when gas went up to 1.50 a gallon, we thought it was the end of the world. i remember when super nintendo was the height of technology.

3. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You are but a babe in the woods. I to miss the old days. I am not going to tell you my age, but I am climbing the hill and can see the top of it. I feel for our kids today, the things they have to go thru, I do not envy youth.

Music was music back then, today, I listen to about all the old stuff, rock and country, and I listen to a lot of Rap. Yeah I am a rap man, listen to it at stop signs, red lights, and just about everywhere I go. Cant find a song that is my favorite though, they all suck.

I remember I liked watching baseball, could tell you who had how many RBI's, homeruns, but with the baseball strikes a few years back, I realized these hero's of mine, were all interested in only money. I lost all interest in Professional Sports, now I only watch college games.

TV has changed alot. I have 119 or some crazy number of channels, and when I am home, I usually turn the TV off, because I cant find anything worth watching except the old Mash and Gillians Islands, the old stuff.

I remember Atari......I remember Commadore 64s......I remember 8 tracks...those were big in the day........now look at what we have.....

In the old days we did things as a family.....today, I hardly have time to see my family. Holidays were a big thing back in the day. Thanksgiving and X-mas, was an all day and 1/2 the night event. Birthdays were a special occasion the whole family enjoyed. Today, that has all changed everyone is to caught up in their own world to enjoy family and friends.

VH1? I remember American Bandstand with Dick Clark....

Is the past really better? Sometimes I think so.......

4. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    I remember the days that we never had to lock a door on the house or the car. Heck you could even leave your keys in the car and never worry about someone stealing it.

I remember no color tv - black and white only.

I remember gas going down to 9 cents a gallon in gas wars. Yep, 9 cents per gallon!

I remember buying ground beef at 3 pounds for $1.00 , 5 pounds for $1.00 if it was on sale.

I remember LP Record albums and 45 records, reel to reel tape decks, no such thing then as 8 track tapes, 8 mm home movies, party lines if you were fortunate enough to have a phone at all.

I remember tv shows like the Mickey Mouse Club, Dragnet, The Rifleman, Fury, Lone Ranger, the wonderful Ma and Pa Kettle movies, Red Skeleton, etc.

But most of all I remember families being real families, meaning even in households where both parents worked families still sat down to a family dinner (supper to many), families went to drive-in movies, went on picnics, went to the lake for a day of swimming and/or fishing, went bowling together, etc. And they COMMUNICATED, really talked about everyday life. Kids were taught to respect their elders and others in general. Kids didn't get everything they wanted and actually APPRECIATED what they did get.

The Good Old Days? You bet! They aren't known as "The Good Old Days" for nothing.

5. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I must be getting really old. I remember the days of no TV, one am radio in the house, no indoor plumbing. heat only in one room and farming with horses. eggs and cream sold to buy food, we went to town about every 2 weeks. bath by the wood stove in a wash tub with water heated on the cook stove.
    Now for the good part, fishing for bullheads in the creek behind the barn . hunting for squirrels and rabbits , sleeping in the yard when it was to hot in the house. I am not old enough for one room schools , I went to a 4 room school.There were 8 in my class . I started driving in the harvest at 13 , had a car by 14,

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I can remember when gas was .25 per gal. I can remember when we had a TV antenna high on a bluff and we would have to send someone atop the bluff and turn the pole to get better reception. Shane I didn't realize you were just a young whipper snapper.

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Bunch of youngun's on here. :smile2:

I can remember 14 years of no electricity and 17 years of no indoor potty. First indoor kind I found was in the USAF. :roll_eyes:

But it was a much better world back then.. sad to say.

8. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    ill be 27 in a week and a half. how old did you think i was there, mickster? maybe its my wisdom beyond my years?:wink: my favorite memory is when ozzy smith, vince coleman and willie mcgee all played for the cardinals!!

9. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    oh, for got to mention. i remember when jerry garcia had brown hair still.

10. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Pa Kettle! My hero and mentor. I have always done my best to pattern my life after Pa. And Ma! My goodness what a hottie!

Actually, Pa is only one half of who I pattern my life after. Lets not forget Elwood P. Dowd. I have long gone crazy, but I could never match Elwoods class & style.

11. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Barb and I must be the same age lol. I remember all that stuff and also when a package of smokes had 2 pennies under the cellophane. I guess they were likely 23 cents, i dunno. My uncles bait shop sold them and that was a highlite for me to get my parents smokes. Also growing up there was an occasional fist fight at school but no guns,knives or bombs being used. Also the last thing a kid would do was talk back to a teacher, let alone threaten one or lay hands to them.I don't care for most of society today but i doubt theres much that can done about it.

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    13 with electric,15 with outhouse,and first job at age 13 was skiding logs with a mule.12 dollars a day but granddad took 8 dollars for room and board.

13. CATFISHING1

CATFISHING1 New Member

State:
    MO.
    that was the best CARDS team ever. willie was the man in centerfield.:cool2:

14. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    But can you remember Jerry playin' bluegrass?:wink:

15. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    George this ones for you! Dont you miss a four finger bag being 15 bucks.
    smokey

16. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Yes Jen, those days were nice :roll_eyes:................but I think it is more important to concentrate on today! I can think of no time in my life when I have felt as loved or needed:embarrassed_2: than I do at this point in my life. Remembering yesterday is fun, but living today is so much better. Good luck to you

17. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    LOL how would YOU be ABLE to remember that?:smile2:

hmmm, I just remember gas being 70 cents a gallon with full service... getting oil checked and windshields washed... black and white TV's only with no remotes,
    and when a "contract" was a simple handshake.

18. big-muddy

big-muddy New Member

State:
    norfolk, va
    only through tapes on that one:wink: old and in the way. good stuff

19. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Do you remember when Ernest Tub's lead guitar player was a young, clean cut, tie wearin man by the name of William Nelson?

20. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    We always had electric, water & phone. When I was about 12, we got a tv. Up until then, it was a radio that was only played for an hour or so a week. I think the name of the radio show was Barndance. Been to a few real barndances, no electric, just kerosene lanterns in an actual barn. (I got to sit on the corn crib or up in the loft). Anywhere from 50 to 75 people would show up. Some drove tractors, some a team & wagon, some just rode their horses in. There was a few trucks there, but no cars. Cars would never have been able to cross the creek. My father told me that nobody would ride their mules in cause the mules would need the rest to be able to work the next day.