Miss. River Safety

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Welkmeister, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Welkmeister

Welkmeister New Member

State:
    Woodstock AL
    A fisherman drowned on the Mississippi River at Cape Girardeau last week while fishing with his brother. They were experienced fishermen and had fished several years on the Miss. river at Cape near some barge loading facilities. Apparently their small john boat (16') got trapped on the upriver side of a docked barge and the current swept the boat under the barges killing one of the two brothers.

I don't mean this to be a downer for everyone having fun tangling with the huge fish the river has to offer, but every now and then a little jolt to remind us how quickly accidents can happen may prevent the next accident from happening. Everyone reading this should take a moment to check all their safety gear in their boat, inspect your life vest for wear/fatigued straps, fire extinguishers, and all other gear that can save your life.

2. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Sorry to hear that happened and prayers sent. Thanks for the good advice about the safety gear Larry!!

3. bluetick1897

bluetick1897 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I fish around the docked barges a lot and every time it make me nervous to be around the front end of one. I make sure I stay a good distance. I seen a skit boat get pushed under the front of a parked barge. The boat stalled and another boat got them out.

4. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Sorry to hear this. But it dosent matter what body of water you are on. No mater how big or how small safety should be on the top of the list for everyone.

Tom

5. river_runner_85

river_runner_85 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Very sad to hear. My prayers our with them and their families.

6. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    That is a sad story:sad2: Makes you think that the river is nothing to get complacent with

7. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    He was a friend of mine. Very good guy.

8. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I fish the mississippi and every time I am out there i am a little scared. However I am guilty about not wearing my life vest but I have promised myself to wear it from now on. Maybe we all should.

9. wayne1967

wayne1967 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am guilty also. If not for yourself do it for your family.