Miss Opal - 81 lb. Flathead Catfish at Cabela's

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Longhorn Al, May 8, 2006.

1. Longhorn Al

Longhorn Al New Member

State:
    Texas
    This fish was caught in Sam Rayburn Lake in Texas. She's 81 lbs, 53" long and 36" around. She's in the aquarium in the Cabela's in Buda, Texas now.

[​IMG]

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I am sure she will be well taken care of at cabella's. That's just one more fish pulled out of the gene pool!!!!

3. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    I have to agree with ya JW.

4. mrc

mrc New Member

State:
    SC
    Does anyone know if they even try to let their captive fish breed?

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Thats a nice cat.

6. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ah..... It's a wee littly bitty baby.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    They had a 30 or 40 pound flathead in the tank at the Bass Pro Shops in Charlotte for a while and they had to move it to the lake out front.

Bream started coming up missing and then they came in one day and a two pound bass had its tail sticking out of the flatheads mouth.

8. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    There used to be a 46lb Yellow at the Buda Cabelas, last time i was in there i didnt see it. It was caught out the San Marcos River.

9. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    LMAO!!! What did they think was going to happen:eek:oooh: :eek:oooh: :eek:oooh: , LOL!!!
    If you put the top preditor from the fresh water world, in a tank full of trapped baitfish, they are going to dissapear, LOL!!!
    Personally I think they should have taken it back to the river and released it.

10. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    JW I hate to beat a dead horse, but I gotta give it to ya. You are right on the money. You just can't expect to take a WILD animal like that out of its enviroment and just expect it to play by the rules of the people who captured it. You can ask anyone who knows me.Iam as mild mannered as they come, and I don't like to talk about people, but I can't help it on this one soooooooooooooooooo........HERES YOUR SIGN to all of those folks who have "PHD degrees" that thought otherwise.:ah:

11. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Looks to me like those guys were more concerned about a photo Op than gettin that cat in the water to survive.:crazy:

12. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Hopefully the fish will survive but as we seen in other cases that has not happened. Thats the biggest flathead I seen by teh way eventhough I know that they can get way bigger.

13. rebrown35

rebrown35 New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I can hear it now - Duh, but boss, we fed the fish 4 days ago and there was a LOT more in here then. I dont have any idea why the little ones are disappearin' and that ole cat keeps gettin bigger - - -

14. TNcat

TNcat New Member

State:
    TN
    Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    If you ever get to watch the feeding presentation at the Bass Pro Shops in Charlotte it is worth the time. They now have a channel cat that is in the mid 20's (just a guess, it may be bigger) and it eats out of the hand of the person who feeds the fish.