The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Pretty fish, when I was a kid we had a pond on the farm that had black carp, they looked just like a common but were black, grand paw said they were German carp but I have been to Germany and all the carp I saw while there were gold so I don't know.
I've allways believed that the clearer the water is a carp is hanging out in, the darker it is. Almost like a sun tan. I've seen that the carp I catch in clear water are often much darker and more colorful than carp caught from muddier water. That sentiment is shared by many but I have no clue how true it is lol.

·
Administrator
10,464 Posts
I share that thought Jacob but like you, do not know that is correct. I see fish that cruise the surface seem darker than those that I think have been staying deep. But again it is just my thoughts.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
My favorite spot is a roll of the dice. The depth is very consistent, but some some fish are dark and some are brilliant gold and orange/yellow with no particular trend. That pretty much applies to mirrors and commons both, even at night. One of the "yellowest" carp I've ever caught was a juvenile mirror at 0-dark-thirty in the morning. Sometimes I think it's just mommy and daddy that make the determination. Buuuuuut....this is just my spot.

·
Registered
4,834 Posts
My mirror-to-common ratio has taken a serious detour this summer. I used to run about 6-to-4 mirrors to commons, but I've only gotten one mirror out of my last two dozen fish the last couple of months. I've also found that the Carolina rig has been way more successful recently than my hair rigs. Oh well...at least I'm still catching fish. They have been averaging smaller than usual though. Maybe the 110+ degree temps have pushed the heavies to deeper water.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I pulled this apple slice mirror out of a local park lake last weekend. Longer than normal hair length, and raw shrimp and sinking trout pellets in the pressure cooker along with bird seeds.
Nice! Shrimp for the hook bait? I could never get away with that lol! Bullhead bonanza!

61 - 80 of 80 Posts