Miracle on Lake Wylie

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by WylieCat, Mar 31, 2007.

1. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Mudkip and myself teamed up to fish Lake Wylie Friday night / Saturday morning. Wylie is loaded with channel cats, but most are in the 4-5 pound range with a few good kickers in the 8-10 pound range. Of course there are the occasional blues that can really pack out a stringer if you can find one. My 55 pound all time personal best blue catfish came from the lake last year.

A typical day on Wylie with a five fish limit will be around 28-35 pounds and a three fish tournament will be 18-22 pounds.

We were on fish fairly quickly. Water temps on the South Fork were around 78 degrees, so this made for some active fish. The bad part was that they were smaller fish in the four pound range.

Around 12:25am the “Miracle on Wylie” happened.

We hooked into a NICE whopper blue. We guessed it to weigh 25 pounds. We knew we had gotten really lucky on finding that fish. Rodger and I have both taken nice blues on Wylie, but they are usually few and far between. We felt after getting skunked at Badin, whipped at Monticello, and spanked at Mt. Island, it was finally our day to shine.

The fish Gods were not done smiling upon us.

About an hour later we hooked into an 18 pounder! Now this was totally amazing at this point. We had a 25, 18, and a several 4-6 pound channels in the boat.

Well, it got better.

Around 3:00am I am taking care of some chores on the boat and the rod on my side folds over. I tell Rodger to grab it and he winches in a 32 pound blue catfish! At this point I am stunned. Speachless. In awe. All of these fish on game day left me humbled.

In the end I think we had around 80 pounds between the three biggest fish. The 25 pounder turned out to be around 30 once we got it on the scales, so we ended up with a 32, 30, and an 18 pounder and another one in the teens and a total of 28 fish for the evening.

All of the fish were released alive back into the Lake Wylie, so everyone has a chance to catch them again!!

2. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    No miracle, sounds like you had a game plan and stuck with it. Man I would have been giddie, if thats the correct word and spelling. It is a shame you did not video tape the action, it would have made a good flick. I will finish by saying "WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW, WOW!

3. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Man thats wild. Great going guys.

4. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    congrats again on the blues,thats awesome,we gone have to get after em ourself on wylie,i think yall just got alot of other folks thinking the same,i guess the name wylie cat fits,wear it proudly,congrats again

5. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    man...those are the kind of days that make us cat fishermen do what we do...it's to bad that those kind of days don't happen to often...congratulations!!!

6. catfishing365

catfishing365 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I would have paid to been out on that boat.Congrats guys, nice job!

7. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    "You gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em" Whoo-hoo! What a night!

8. Beaufort

Beaufort Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Great job that really sounds like amiricle catch on wylie.

9. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Congrats on the catch. Im sure that made a long night go by quickly. Did any of the other guys catch and nice fish???

10. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Cary the overall big fish bite seemed to be a little slow. Most were five pound range channels. There just were not the big kicker channels we normally see. I am not sure if other folks were drifting or anchoring.

11. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    Nice catch yall on any lake but I know how it is when you have a catch like that on your home lake that dont have a big population of blues in it, it just makes it that much better.Where yall driftin or anchoring?

12. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    We were dug in like an Alabama tick:big_smile:

13. seaark

seaark New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Sounds like you guys slayed them fish. It must have been fun. Thanks for the post.

14. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Ya Chris, we anchored that night. We fished several different spots. Rodger and I have fished all the places in past and done well, but never this good. Maybe we had some of that "mojo" you talked about in another post!!

I have drifted the same areas, and I have marked some large fish, but I have never caught them drifting. The biggest in that area was an eight pound blue. Even though I have had good success anchoring there on channel cats the drift bite is just not effective, but there are plenty of places on Wylie where it is. My personal best channel cat came drifting.

I still drift more than I anchor, but the areas I drift are different structurally than where I anchor. I think the big blues can be caught drifting on Wylie, but it is going to take some technique change we have not figured out yet.

15. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yeah it was unbelievable to see. Those two guys just kept a poker face on at weigh in. I wouldn't have been able to hide the grin if it was me. Ya'll handled it with a humble and professional attitude. Well done and congratulations.

16. mudkip

mudkip New Member

State:
    SC
    In my experience, anchoring is the way to go if you want BIG fish.

17. WylieCat

State:
    NC
    Wyliecatter, I knew it was entirely possible someone could come in with a monster flathead. There are some big flatheads in Wylie and most people don't know how to catch them, myslef included. I kinda figured if they are biting for us they could be biting for everyone, but after the others ones hit I knew something was up.

Mudkip can tell you about the stunned look on my face. That so called "poker face" was "stunned face". :lol:

The funny part was to see Mudkip point at the rod when it folded over the first time and say, "there he is, there he is, thats him!!"

Can it be replicated? Who knows. I guess we will have to wait and see.

18. wylie catter

wylie catter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Yall tore'em up that's for sure. I've never even heard of anything like that happening in wylie. I'm noticing a trend, if you forget your camera, you catch monster fish. I'd leave the dern camera at home from now on. I wish I would have stayed in the South Fork all night. I didn't catch much once I moved down river. I caught a lot of fish up there, but they weren't big enough. The (grass is always greener) attitude screws you sometimes. I still had fun though.

19. chrisblue

chrisblue New Member

State:
    SC
    One things for sure its only gone get better and better.I wish greenwood was at the point that Wylie is with the blues.

20. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

"Miracle on Lake Wylie" huh? :cool2:, even though Christmas done came and went sounds like you fellas got some belated GIFTS the other day. Lucky ducks (uh..... I mean highly skilled catfishermen). WAY TO GO Rodger and Dieter :big_smile:!