Minnows

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by ChrisC.729, Aug 7, 2007.

1. ChrisC.729

ChrisC.729 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Can you use a minnow for catching a catfish?

Ive never tried it before. So i dont know.

2. scott1

scott1 New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I will buy minnows if I cant get eels or I dont have time to get out and catch bream before it gets to dark. So to answer your question yes you can use minnows for cats. They are just a little to small for what I fish for.

3. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Chris
    I have caught channels with dead minnows, I usually cut them into 2 or 3 pcs and place one or two on a hook. Luck

4. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I wondered this myself I have tried a few times but havent. But saw someone last summer land a monster channel using a live minnow right next to me.

5. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca

Hey Chris,
    :0a27:with the rest of the guys!

I have caught some of my biggest Channels on Minnows, out here in California - at the "California Delta".

I will get some med. to large ones and fish them on a sliding-sinker set-up.
    :wink:
    :0a26:
    Good Luck to Ya,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship::0a23:
    Bert & "Deltalover"

6. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I have caught a lot of catfish on minnows.I use them a lot. I run the hook in the mouth and out the tail.(wormed on)Fish up to 25#

7. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I've caught some of my biggest catfish using shinners. I also some times use dead creek chubbs to catch channels. Minnows are great catfish bait.:0a26::0a23:

8. stickusmc

stickusmc New Member

State:
    Glasford, Illinois
    i agree minnows, creek chubs and the like are all good bait

9. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yes, minnows can catch cats. Some of the biggest cats Ive caught have been off minnows about an inch long.

10. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    The minnows that most bait dealers around here sell aren't very big.
    So how do you hook your minnows and still let them swim .
    How big of a hook do you use.
    Aren't larger hooks more effective for bigger cats?

11. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    The minnows they sell here are small also. Usually only about an inch long. I use a 3/0 or 6/0 circle hook. I put the hook in the mouth and out the top of their head. I usually put 3 on at a time this way. I have caught channels and blues with them. I hook the shad I catch with cast net the same way. But I usually only use two of them since they are a little bigger.

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Bob, the cats are attracted to the scent and the minnows do not have to be alive as for crappie. Just run those 1" minnows on the hook like you were putting a nightcrawler on... should only use two or three... They will catch the fish the same as the large minnows. Sometimes the channels like the minnows alive and won't hit a dead one... other times they are not interested in the live ones... other times they are just not interested... thats when you take a nap. LOL