minnows

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by catoon, Jul 20, 2009.

1. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    any one use minnows for cats ?

2. Ky_Katter91

Ky_Katter91 New Member

State:
    Northern Ky
    I use creek chubs which is just a realy big minnow, and I've used them to catch eater channels at times. They work just like anything else.

3. RPnKC

RPnKC New Member

State:
    Kansas
    My first 16# channel cat was on a live minnow with 1/2 of a cut minnow for scent. Don't use them anymore, but they certainly are on the menu.

4. Catfishkid24

Catfishkid24 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i use creek chubs for channel cats which is just like a minnow and every once and a while ill gett a bass

5. shanelures

shanelures New Member

State:
    ohio
    can catch pretty good channels on minnows!! if theres a lot of shad where you fish i would use them though!

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Heck ya toon:wink: Live minnow and sm little gills:wink:

7. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    yea, i use minnows a lot early in spring on yo-yo's and limblines with 1/0 & 2/0 hooks; catch alot of channels and some flatheads along with everything else in the river; minnows are excellent bait.

8. Dirtman

Dirtman New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bigger minnows works better correct?

9. bedbug jr

bedbug jr New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Creek chubs and large shiners when you can find them. Both are excellent baits for channels and flatties too. Stay safe and stick a pig!!!:wink:

10. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm gonna try those creek chubs again this weekend..There's a creek down by my house full of them..There not very big though maybe 2-3"..I used them once before and did well..A friend of mine last weekend caught a catfish on a creek chub that went 33 lbs..The only problem I had is keeping them alive..It didn't take 15 min and they were dead..Worked just as good dead though and boy do they reek something nasty..

11. Welder

Welder New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I like getting the 4 to 8 inch chubs, creeks suckers, daces and fall fish. They all work good just keep the water cold and a good bubbler on em and if any die put em on ice. I have goten cats up to 50lbs on em.

12. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yep.. they work well fished on bottom in the summer in deep sloughs.:wink: nice 5-8 lb channels will take em.

13. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Your right AJ. A nice channel will gobble up a minnow. i fish with them all the time.

14. festus

festus New Member

The creek in the attached photo runs through my backyard and serves as a property line. I'm lucky, it has shiners, chubs, horneyheads, suckers, logperch, redbreasts, redeyes, and bluegill swimming in it. There's a few bass and bullheads in there but not much larger than a pound in this area. Go downstream a ways and it eventually empties into Watts Bar Lake, where Mr. Frank Craddock usually puts in his boats and jug lines.

If I buy tuffie minnows, I just throw my leftovers into one of several galvanized floating minnow buckets and they keep as long as I want. I really can't say which is best, chubs, suckers, or shiners, I've had luck with all, and of course bluegill.