Minnows Galore!

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by drpepper, Aug 14, 2008.

1. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've got a creek that runs through my property.... Well, "Shinner" Minnows galore from 1 to 3 inches long collect in the little potholes of that creek.

I bought a round minnow "traps" from Walmart but those guys are just too smart to swim in there!!!! What should I do? There sooooo many it's drivin me NUTS that I can't even catch one of 'em for crappie and Bass fishing in my lake.

Thanks! Bill

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    If you bought the shiny silver trap, try the black ones it seems to make a difference!

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have noticed this too. i don't know whay it would matter, but it really seems to. i use an umbrella net for minnows, and i catch around 10 dozen in 30 minutes. you can throw it out and pull it through the holes, or you can tie some panty hose in the middle and put bread in it. get the bread wet, then squeeze it till it comes out a little. drop that down in the holes for about 5 minutes then pull it up. you don't have to pull up really fast, the water going through the mesh pins the fish to the net. at academy the nets are 8 bucks, with two throws of the net that thing will pay for itsself. minnows are almost 4 dollars a dozen here, i haven't paid for them in a long time. we catch the river shiners in the canadian river, and fathead minnows in the ponds around town. the same tactics work both places, maybe they'll work for you up there!

4. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I do have that black minnow trap I did catch a snake in it lol.
    I'll find an umbrella net. thanks guys!

5. Wallbass

Wallbass New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I second the Umbrella net! I use it for crawdads,chubs and bluegill.:embarassed:

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Back when I was a kid, we used to use a regular seine to catch a lot of minnows in the small creeks. Works best with two people, though.

7. hunterhnc20

hunterhnc20 New Member

State:
    Buffalo, West V
    From my experience, when a snake is in your minnow trap you had fish in it and the snake went in the trap to eat them. The snake is like the minnows, it can't get out. A seine is good to get minnows if the hole isn't deep or wide. They will swim around you and you get wet. The umbrella is the way to go.

8. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    What kind'a bait are you using in your trap?? You may need to secure it so it doesn't float through the mesh and give 'em a free meal.

9. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    your right about that, I used crackers and before long they melt through... How's a good way to secure bait and what is a good bait to use?

10. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Pantyhose, or any net-type material. Dry dog or cat food is a good choice (as long as you don't have to wrestle a hungry Rotweiller to get it)!!

11. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Cool thanks, I'll try that stuff... I was tempted to take a picture of one of those little 3-5ft diameter pot holes with all those minnows in it and post it here... there's more minnows in one of those pot holes then you can shake a stick at, it's almost unbelievable... I'm minnow rich if I can catch 'em!

12. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Okay bud, THAT was a kick ass tip.... I put a handful of dry dog food in the trap (purina little bites if anyone cares) and a half hour later, I had more minnows then I could use in a 24/7 crappie fishing marathon (no joke!) right-on, THANKS!

13. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    I use slices of bread. Part of a white styrofoam cup will also work. try it if you dont believe me.

14. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I tried bread with no luck... I guess I've got picky minnows LOL... tried crackers too... narry a minnow.

When I stuck some dog food in there, minnows filled that trap up in 30 minutes.... I was amazed.

I will try that styrofoam cup though!

15. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    Try leaving your traps out for several days and the minnows will get used to them. Sometimes they are spooked to begin with. Try using light bread and squeeze two slices into a tight ball and put this in each trap. Put your traps under rootballs and brushpiles if possible.

16. River Hobo

River Hobo New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Looks like the dog food was the answer you were looking for. I was going to suggest what I use, a dip net attached to my pool skimmer handle. Works like a charm and I don't have to wait for the trap to work.