Minnows for channel catfish?

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by CJ21, May 8, 2006.

1. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Hello gang, I am wondering would live minnows work for channels?

2. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I have caught lots of big channels on minnows. I have caught lots on my regular cat rigs and caught lots on my crappie rigs while crappie fishing. It is a lot of fun catching a channel on light crappie gear. The biggest I have boated is a 14# channel on my crappie rigs. You really have to play them!

3. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Yep, live minnow on a slip bobber rig is one of the most productive and fun rigs for back water slough's in my area! You never know what has your pole bent, could be big channel, striper, crappie or even a record black bass!

4. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27: 100% with all of the guys.

I have got some of the biggest Channels on Minnows. :big_smile:

:0a23:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2:
    (Shaina)

5. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    One night, I took my boys out to fish our local lake for an all nighter.
    We were using live blue gills and shad looking for bigger cats and flatheads.
    My boys got bored and hit the hay at about 2:00.
    Around that time, some other fisherman came by to check on us and they did not have any luck either. They had a couple of dozen minnows and gave them to me.
    I rigged up my ultralight with a bobber and threw out so that it was about at 4ft deep.
    I caught 4 very nice channels (2 to 4 lbs) over the next hour then the bigger cats finaly started biting on my regular rigs.

Taught me a good lesson about catfishing that night.
    The smaller cats were feeding on minnows along the sand bar.
    Also, I noticed quite a few crawdads going alongs the shore line.

I ended up pulling my big gear and throwing shallow and did quite well till sunup. That pretty much changed my lake night fishing from then on.
    Lots of people use minnows for bait for channel cats. I still prefer going with big baits looking for big fish, but if your after some eaters, I don't think you could go wrong with minnows.

6. m.a.p.

m.a.p. New Member

State:
    louisiana
    Yes, I Have Caught Some Channels On Minnows. I Figured This Out By Accident Fishing For Sac-a-lait. I Changed Rods And Caught Some Good Cats.

7. Just call me C.

Just call me C. New Member

State:
    Indiana
    thats all i use for channels aside from nightcrawlers...chubs, gills and basicly any baitfish work great. in my area if you use chicken liver, all you will catch is yellow bellies.

8. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    oh small minnows work good for channels,also small shad or shiners,also when the minnows die cut them in half and fish with them works great also

9. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I've caught about every species of fish on live minnows under a slip bobber, they work really well for cats in the 1-5lb range. A lot of the times if I'm out fishing with live minnows for crappies or bass, if any die, I'll take about 3 dead ones and string them up on a 2/0 hook on the bottom for channels, that tends to work well. My dad caught a 20lb channel down at Dale Hollow in Tennessee on 3 dead minnows on the bottom.

10. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    Guess what?? I'm gonna take some minnows with me next time I go :0a31:

11. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    man sounds good too me i can get a bunch of minnows easy in my creek so if the shad arent plentiful
    thx guys

12. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Hey treddinwater, I had an elderly man tell me a long time ago that he did the same, live minnow for bass and crappie and dead for channels. I had forgotten over the years but will put it back into practise. hmmmm, now I am the eldely man...hahaha

13. BIGCAT DADDY 71

BIGCAT DADDY 71 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    yes, i caught a mess of channels on minnows the other day.

14. timbo

timbo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hi ((cj21)) i have fished with large minnows many time,s (((LARGE ONE,S))in a creek where i fish from shore abought 21 ft of water here in N.C and i have great luck i buy my minnows from bait shop and hook in the uper back ,,GOOD LUCK TIMBO:big_smile:

15. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I use them just like any other bait. I just cut the tail off and hook them from the cut up through the eye on large minnows. Small minnows I put 2-3 on the hook and away I go.

16. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I have not used minnows for years and never for cats but that is about to change. Next mo. we plan to move to the land that has a pond on it and I have a minnow trap that I can't wait to put to use.

17. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    This isn't specific to your minnow question, but I caught some eater channels on crickets while 'gill fishing the other day.

Smitty

18. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    Yes, most certainly, minnows are good for channels.

19. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    minnows work very good in my area.i fish them about 3 - 5 feet under a slip bober in a large creek were this rifle comes into a hole that is about 7 feet deep.i usually just drift it through the riffle and as soon as my rig gets to the edge of the hole i catch a channel cat or a small flathead almost every cast.i have also had good luck in alot of other places while fishing for crappie and catching cats.

20. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Minnows are a great bait for anything. In one trip ive caught bass, crappie, bluegill and channels all on minnows.