Minnows as flathead catfish bait?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by bobsmitter03, Apr 10, 2006.

1. bobsmitter03

bobsmitter03 New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    do minnows work really good for flatheadsd?

or does anyone cut them up and use them that way?

thanks

2. knapperheadmatt

knapperheadmatt New Member

State:
    texas
    i've only caught one op so far and it was on a large minnow. it was only about two pounds.
    matt

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Bob, the biggest flathead that I have ever caught was 32 pounds and it was caught on a three inch shad. My brothers biggest flathead was 40 pounds caught on the same bait. I have also caught lots of good flatties on shiner minnows hooked live and dead. I have also caught them on hand size bluegill, so you be the judge. As far as you catching a large flathead on minnows, my answer is yes. Vern

4. mandisue13

mandisue13 New Member

State:
    louisiana
    the biggest cat I have ever seen was caught on a chunk of DOG FOOD! I think the only time size of bait will matter is if the bait is too big for a smaller fish and he cant eat it. but i think a big cat will eat what does not eat him first.

5. Damian_Storm

Damian_Storm New Member

State:
    indiana
    about the biggest thing i have caught with minnows are channels up to about 2-3 lbs..however if you want some for cats for dinner minnows have caught tons of channels for me....

6. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Usually use creek chubs for flatheads or bluegills. I've taken many on cut shad, whole shad also. The Channel cats seem to take mostly cut shad. We use minnows mostly for crappie and walleye fishing.

SudDawg

7. tdpasser

tdpasser New Member

State:
    Gilbert AZ
    I caught a 12lb flat on 3 little crappie minnows fishing for channels, channels love 3 wiggling minnows on the bottom sliding sinker style and flats will take them also. Flats are best caught on a larger fish like green sunnies,blue gills, big shads, water dogs or fresh chunked carp.

8. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I know a guy that caught an 18lber on 2 live minnows while wading a small creek at night.

9. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I would only use big minnows. 5-6" or better.

10. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    The bigger the bait the better. I have got flat's on minnows but they were small flat's. however, one time I was using a really small minnow (for some reason I do not know) and I had on a big fish had to be pushing 30 pounds and it got tangled on a log about 10 feet out. Went in to get it and it broke the line. Couple of my buddies have had there rod pulled into the river on minnows. But like I said I would use bigger bait. That gives you the best chance at a really big fish.

11. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    The only flathead that ive ever personally seen caught was on a minnow. The flathead was 22#s. My buddy and his dad and I were crappie fishing, we pulled up to some trees and tied up to one. My friends dad put a minow on set his pole on his trolling motor and turned around to turn the bilge pump off. When he turned back around his pole was doubled over. After about 10-15 minutes of fighting it, using crappie gear(8 # line, light pole, soft gold crappie hook)he got the sucker up. I was the only one brave enough to grab it, I lipped the guy and brought him into the boat. After that, there was nothing I liked fishing for more than catfish.

My problem though, I have never caught a flathead. Ive fished live perch, minnows, crayfish, live and dead shad, and all the standard catfish baits like liver,corn, tortillas, worms, grasshoppers on both poles, jugs/trotlines. Ive caught plenty of channels and blues but the flathead is my unicorn. I just cant catch one. I have some spots planned this year though, and Im heading out fishing more than ever since about 1 month ago. So its only a matter of time.

In general I believe minnows will work jut as good as any other live bait of the same size. The diffrence is, its generally much easier to find 5+ inch perch than 5+ inch minnows.

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Jared, I've never caught a flathead on rod & reel either. According to a local commercial fisherman, in the spring, the flatheads run up a couple of small rivers to where there are cypress trees growing in the water. He said that blues run up the river, but not that far. Seems like it's 'bout time to check that out.

13. OpsMan

OpsMan New Member

State:
    Texas
    So would you guys say bigger single minnows are better, or multiple smaller ones?

14. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Bigger single minnows or if you can get big shinners should be good. I have tried mutliple minnows before and did not have as much luck as one big minnow.

15. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    i have caught Flatties on small creek chubs or shiners, i dont think i would use bass minnows, but i think you would have a chance to caught a nice flathead on a decent size minnow, i personally like live chubs over any other bait, i fish the Ohio River and i caught the most flatheads on a good ol lively chubb....they like them cut too..i have a little creek behind my house, i throw my cast net 2 or 3 times, and load up on the chubbs.

16. BigCatSteve

BigCatSteve New Member

State:
    Huber Heights,Ohio
    i wouldnt recomend minnows,i would use shad,bluegill or chubs.all are great flathead bait