minnow traps

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by BIGcatjakeJR, Jun 25, 2008.

1. BIGcatjakeJR

BIGcatjakeJR New Member

State:
    ohio
    i just got two minny traps there pretty cool can anybody share their bait catching tactics so i can get bait easier and fasteri got a castnet from walmart i use that to alot 4 chubs and shiners.....

2. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    I use chunks of hot dogs and saltine crackers in my minny trap and use wax worms to catch gills by rod n reel and my cast net for shad

3. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive got two minnow traps one the galvanized steel and the other black plastic. Both can produce but I think the steel one produces was more. I use saltine crackers but will have to try out the hot dogs doughboy suggested. I usually throw them around some type of cover like a fallen tree in the water.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I don't have too much luck with traps. I would recommend getting a minnow sein, more productive and sometimes quite exciting

5. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i always put bread in mine seems to work pretty good

6. catfish42o

catfish42o New Member

State:
    portsmouth/ohio
    ive used hot dogs,and bread both work very well. and ive even used left over chicken i put in a few left over chicken legs and in the mornining i had trap full of crawfish..lol

7. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Try Taking a couple slices of flesh doughy bread ... a little bit of uncooked rolled oats and a small amounf of corn meal .. roll into ball as tight as possible ... use a few sprinkles of water if needed and put the ball in your trap ........ works best where there is moving water .... Garry-