minnow traps

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by flannelman, Nov 22, 2005.

1. flannelman

flannelman New Member

anybody here know how to make a minnow trap?

2. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It's cheaper and less trouble to just buy one IMO.

3. Koda

Koda New Member

State:
    Tombstone,AZ
  4. baygall

baygall New Member

State:
    East Texas
    I've been building these for a while and they work really well. I use the smallest hardware cloth, maybe 1/4". I catch every thing from small minnows to larger blue gills.

Attached Files:

5. Chrisingeorgia

Chrisingeorgia New Member

State:
    NY
    Take a look at one in the store and see how it's made. They're basically just chicken wire that's been shaped and clamped together. I've made them for minnows and crawfish.

6. baygall

baygall New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Here is a diagram.

Attached Files:

7. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    want a really cheap on... cut the bottom off of a 2 liter soda bottle and the top off of another... take the cap off the top and invert it into the one missing the bottom. now punch holes into it to let water in and air out. attach a string and add bait... to get them out just undo the cap of the one missing the bottom and pour the fish into the bait bucket...

CHEAP, FAST and EASY...

8. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

BayGall,
    Nice looking trap!
    LeakyBoat

9. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    What do you use as bait in a trap? I have one trap and would like to see if it works before i buy more. :confused:

10. baygall

baygall New Member

State:
    East Texas
    A Coors beer can. The shiney can attracts them. Sometimes I use range cubes if I have any left after baiting my holes.

11. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Photocat,an excellent idea.I'm putting this thread in favorites so I'll have it in spring to try out!!

12. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    the bait i found works best for long soaks (overnight or a day) is a cheap dog food. Something large enough not to just slip through the holes. It lasts a long time and feeds them well. This works well in the tubular style minnow traps, like the gee's or the one i suggested earlier w/ the 2 liter .

For the more rectangular/square traps i've found that mini bagels broken into 2 or 3 pieces seem to work well in fresh water for Bluegills.

The other bait thats really cheap is catfood, the poptop ones. (walmart has some that are 4 for like $0.88) They have to be the solid ones rather then the sliced up ones. They can last atleast 5 hrs each depending on how active the trap is...

13. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    When I did use them in new jersey as a kid we would just use bread nothing special and it worked great especialy where the bay came into fresh water.

14. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Hey flannelman I went to bass pro over the weekend and you can get a minnow trap their for $5.88, pretty cheap.

15. flannelman

flannelman New Member

i actually made the trap that photocat was talkin about. i havent tried it out yet but it should work pretty good.