Minnow traps

Discussion in 'ALL OTHER FISH' started by kat buster, May 8, 2006.

1. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    I am trying to save money on bait this year because there are no bait ships close by. Has any body had any luck catching there own baits. I have a couple of home made traps out in the creek right now. They are really easy to make.

2. FishinChris

FishinChris New Member

State:
    Texas
    I thought about trying a minnow trap when its crappie time because we use to go through so many minnows, but I havent been crappie fishing that much this year so I never did it.I do catch my own shad for cats though.Have you had luck catching any minnows?

3. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    actually catchin big spottail minners on a hook here.
    i built a perch trap with 1/2 inch hardware cloth per the instructions from the library post and works great for baitsize gills. i tried the same setup using 1/4 inch hardware cloth to catch minnows but didnt work as good.
    I have one of those cylinder shaped double cone wire minnow traps you get at wally world. never have had any luck with those till i saw someone else catchin minners with the same type trap i have. come to find out that he ties a piece of bread inside so that it is halfway between top n bottom of the trap in front of the inlet cones.

4. kat buster

kat buster New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Just got back from checking my trap. It worked! I got about 6 creek chup out of the creek. I think I will be doing a lot more trapping soon. I am already thinking about buying some more traps

5. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    depending on the trap and fish your trying to go after w/ the trap i'd say go with either mini bagels broken in to quarters (1/4 the whole, not quarter , the coin, sized pieces), cat/dogfood from the can, dog/catfood from the bag or saltines... Possibly if you have a few chicken livers left after catfishing one night throw them in but they have been hit or miss for me in the past...