Minnow traps

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by ejones1961, Mar 17, 2006.

1. ejones1961

ejones1961 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Nnyone use minnow traps to catch the minnows that they fish with?
    I was just curious if it was worth the trouble.
    Thanks

2. David Knotts

David Knotts New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La
    I don't, it's just a lot easier for me to stop by the bait shop and get some. If I run out I go back to the shop or just head on home.

3. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    same here. now if i had a creek running through my back yard that would be a different story.

4. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I have never caught a minnow in mine! It works excelent for two to three inch perch though, which I think are better bait, at least around here! And in the right place, you can fill it with crawdads in a short time! I do occassionaly use my bait trap to keep store bought minnows in!

5. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    do anybody use minnow traps and if so what is your bait for them. I was thinking about getting some for the kids to play around with.

6. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Go to www.boyslife.org, there is a trap on there that works great. There are many other things on there too.

7. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    i use a minnow trap baited with cornmeal in a small stream near my house..it's just deep enough to cover the trap...most minnows i got at one time was around 200...long day fishing :)

8. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    well i got 3 traps at wal mart black ones for them to play with but has to be a way to bait them in. loads of them around the traps just not going in to it and the creek is full of chubs in the summer so maybe i can come out ahead on this one.

9. dreamer34

dreamer34 New Member

State:
    danville virginia
    try cornmeal in a pantyhose tied to the middle of the trap

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Went crappie fishing two weeks ago. First time I bought minnows in probably 8 or 10 years. Could have filled my pants... $2.53 a dozen. TWO DOLLARS AND FIFTY THREE CENTS per dozen. My gosh, wages aren't even that much.

11. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    I use one of the metal shaped egg like things for garlic. I fill it with bread crumbs, then it has a short chain in it that I hook to one side and use a rubber band and paper clip to hook it to the other side so it stays in the middle. Just tried it last year and worked really good.

12. graybeard

graybeard New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I've got one of those Wal-Mart ones( with the cone in each end) that I use for chubs. There's a little ditch by my house that's usually good for a few chubs whenever I need them. I just put a slice of bread, usually the ends, in it and in a couple hours I'll normally have enough for an evenings fishing, as long as I'm not gonna set lines or fish all nite. At 60 cents a chub, plus a 15 mile drive to the bait shop, it paid for itself pretty fast. As for minnows, I still usually buy them, as I don't use that many, and a guy at the lake usually has them for sale.

13. TIM HAGAN

TIM HAGAN New Member

State:
    Walkersvil
    ok thanks i will try some bread and see, we only have one bait shop around here and they only have small and med size smalls are 3.00 a doz and med are 4 so if the kids can catch some that great.

14. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Best thing since sliced bread for me. We have some land in a rual, country part of Ohio, in Hocking County & the Hocking Hills region. We horny heads, chubs, darters & then some thing that is yellow, redf & other colors. I didnt know it but these sell for $5 per dozen on some crappie lake in TN. We've been using minnow traps for 20+ years. When I panfished & Bass fished it was a godsend. Now that I almost strictly fish for cats, most are too small, but the traps are also good for Crawdads not only that, but shoot if you are using Bluegills or Goldfish the traps make one heck of a "minnow/bait bucket". Just put them in it & toss it over the boat or from the shore. Your bait will ALWAYS stay lively.

15. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ive got two minnow traps, one in black plastic and one in metal. The metal one outproduces the plastic one every time. Usually I just catch bluegills but I think thats because of the pond. For bait Ive found that crackers work better than bread for me. Cant beat catching your bait while your fishing.

16. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thank god Mellon discovered minnow traps, he sure cant throw a castnet!;)

17. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    +REP for that one Jack.

It was BAD today. My wife was making fun of me. I had dozens of baitfish on the surface, you could see them, I managed 1. :rolleyes: I suck. I started doing better as we left though.

18. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Wheres my rep?????????????????

19. suddawg

suddawg New Member

TA2D makes all of ours. He can build anything out of PVC, zip ties, and some wire mesh. Usually use dog food for bait. We'll get pretty much everything in them in the creeks we go to. Time now to build and perfect one for crawdads.

SudDawg

20. ksutroubleii

ksutroubleii New Member

State:
    New Philadelphia, OH
    I've got 2 I bought from wallworld. I use saltine crackers or chunks of bread for bait. 1 of them I modified so the hole is bigger. Chubs and bitty sunfish by the dozens.