Minnow traps

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by YeeHaw, Mar 12, 2006.

1. YeeHaw

YeeHaw New Member

State:
    Quincy Illinois
    Does anybody know how to make a simple minnow trap that dosn't cost much and is somewhat easy to put together. I've been getting sick and tired of using an oversized goldfish net, it was fun at first but i'm not getting enough minnows to put in a big tub.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

3. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    i think the cheapest and fastest way to go is to go to nearest bait store and buy one for about 10.00 they are fast and simple and i have always had good results. :) just crumble up some animal cookies or some bread, crackers, or something in that nature containing bread product as main ingrediant

4. catd11rnky

catd11rnky New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I know that this doesnt pertain to the best minnow trap, but the best bait that i found for a trap is sourcraut. It works good here in Ky anyways.:)

5. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Hello and Welcome Catd11 This is the best site on the web.. How would u keep this in the mesh like cage?

6. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    The new Cabelas catalog has some collasible ones for 7.99, 12.99 and 14.99, depending on size. Pretty cool for me for my walk in spots! They have the regular ones at about the same prices! Unless you find the materials for free, 8 bucks gonna be hard to beat!

7. catwacker

catwacker New Member

State:
    illinois
    don't know if i can explain it without pictures. take a three litre pop bottle.cut off the top about an inch below where it starts to slope up to the top. put the top into the bottle upside down. punch three holes spaced evenly around the edge, thru both layers. put bread wrapper ties thru holes. take a hot ice pick and punch holes all over the bottle to sink it faster. i put a rock and crackers in it. tie a line to the neck. to empty minnows, take 1 of the ties out, pour into bucket. cheap, and it does work. a 2 litre bottle will work in a pinch, but 3 is better if you can find them.
    catwacker

8. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    They've Got Some Real Good Ones At Catfish Connection, I Bought One Earlier This Year From Them For $6, That's Cheaper Than Wal-mart Sells Them, I Used Mine Yesterday With Bread As Bait, Caught Enough Minnows To Fish With Today.

9. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I think sourkraut only works on them Kentucky minnows, thats them redneck minnows down there! lol :D