Minnow Trap

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Gordhawk, May 13, 2007.

1. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I just bought a minnow trap,and was wondering if anyone on here had ever used one. I never have tried trapping minnows before,but have caught a lot of them with a seine. I have found a place where there are a lot of minnows,but there is no way I can seine this place,so I thought I would try getting them with a minnow trap. Do you have to bait a minnow trap,and if so what do you use for bait? Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.
    Glenn

2. tnkatman

tnkatman New Member

State:
    Bluff City, TN
    I have one and I use bread for bait.

3. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I usually like to use saltine crackers whole, always had better luck with them over bread.

4. fess

fess New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I always do great with a piece of bread and cut up onions. Always remember to place your trap up and down the creek never run it crossways you wont catch as many that way.

5. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    How many saltine crackers do you put in your minnow trap? Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread.

6. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I use one slice of bread and it also helps to crumble Styrofoam cup or packing peanuts and put in trap.As Fess says set it with the stream.
    Jake

7. lilrivercatman

lilrivercatman New Member

State:
    Iowa
    :big_smile: I always set mine with two slices of bread. Make sure it is white bread NOT wheat, well atleast it didnt work for me...and also dont use the ends of the loaf they dont produce as much. O! And one more thing, I have one silver trap and one black one and the silver one always produces more maybe because its more flashy or somthing...Anyway good luck and I hope this helped!!!

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I've been catching dozens and dozens of chubs this year with a couple pieces of bread and a little bit of an onion. I always check mine every few hours and empty it so that way you don't give them a lot of time to figure out how to escape. Not sure about there but most of the chubs i've been catching were fat and full of eggs. Great bait!!!

Also the black traps are nowhere as good as the silver ones. I think its the coating around the entrance,they can get out a lot easier.Cut the ring out and bend it a little,it'll work better!

9. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    Howdy fellas, I bought a minnow trap several years ago but go so busy with work and all and just never got around to using it... I might just have to drag it outta the cellar - blow the dust off it and give er a try the next time out... thanks for the info guys.

10. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    oh yeah... it's a silver one.

11. r_p_narramore

r_p_narramore New Member

State:
    East KY
    I use dry dogfood in mine. It works the best for me. Also make sure it is completely submerged so that it will drown any snakes that get in it.

12. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    I couldent guess at how many snakes I have drown in a trap:roll_eyes: Our creeks are full of them Ive been using bread and inions lately with great success.

13. catchinghogs

catchinghogs Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    See some people say silver is better just bought a black one maybe I should take it back.

14. FourWinds

FourWinds New Member

State:
    Lawton, Oklahoma
    When I first bought that thing I thought about maybe using dogfood... wondered about snakes, too.

bread and onions?

15. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Yea, lightbread and onions..

16. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Be sure to anchor that thing down good or the coons will get it, and hide it pretty good or the two legged critters will walk off with it pretty quick. Luck

17. purebonewv

purebonewv New Member

State:
    west virginia
    i put out 3 traps everytime i go i use crackers about 3 or 4 i barely crush them i put them in deep holes and i use 30lb fishing line to put them in that way people are less likely to see the line and steal your trap i use 3 traps incase one is stolen or empty. works well for me its nothing for me to get several dozen minnows chubs and little creek bluegills. try the crackers i have never used bread and onions do you break the bread up and cut the onions?

18. nemad9

nemad9 New Member

State:
    wv
    ive always used either bread or dog food

19. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks to all of you that contributed to this thread. I had forgotten all about starting this thread,that's why I'm so late getting around to thanking you all! After reading all of these posts I think maybe I should take it back,it's black,and I haven't gotten around to using it yet. Maybe I should get a silver one if they are better.
    Thanks Again,
    Glenn

20. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Hold on to it Mark, I got two black ones and they work fine. I've been trying lots of different bait and to get mainly minnows plain old white bread works best. I also found out that if you grind up some anise seed and wrap it in the bread you'll be overwhelmed with crayfish.