Minnow trap

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by georgiamike, Sep 20, 2006.

1. georgiamike

georgiamike New Member

State:
    Texas
    Another question from the newbie. Has anyone ever used this type minnow trap http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=30212&hvarDept=100&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=11&hvarSubCode=6&hvarTarget=browse
    and if so how well did it work. My daughter loves to bass fish and I am spending too much on minners. If yall advise using this trap, could you give me some advice on baiting and setting out etc... How long do you think it will need to be out to get some minners in there, I know this could vary depending on the lake etc.. I will be fishing lake lewisville by the way.

2. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    thats a similar kind to what i've got... works great... though i think that has a metal ring to keep the inner circle from being expanded or anything... I don't like that it means that a little bit larger fish can't make it in and through the hole (with out it if they want to come in the mesh gives a little bit so they can get in) as for bait, most of the fish know to wait till i pull it and come to grab food that falls out when i use wet catfood in it so i've ended up using dry dogfood in it which doesn't break up as easily and stays in the trap well so they have to come in to get it

For some of my other traps i'll use mini bagels quartered as bait... seems to work pretty well actually...

3. heavyduty

heavyduty New Member

State:
    Grand Gulf,MS
    you can also use white bread and ball it up real hard or put the dog food in an old sock or pantyhose

4. coltsfan

coltsfan New Member

State:
    ohio
    i use bread in mine just ball it up and put it in .i put mine out the night before i'm gonna go

5. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    they work good. If you want quicker results buy a cast / throw net that has the tiny holes that are small enough to catch minnows. You usually can't find them just anywhere but talk to a good bait shop and they can lead you in the right direction. They are a little more expensive than the standard cast net, but they are worth it if you are after minnows as well as larger baits

6. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    easy trap by buddah: cut the top off of a 2 or 3 litre bottle and invert place a piece of chewed bubble gum in it (all I had) and check in a bit.
    Works pretty good too. Use it every year!

7. georgiamike

georgiamike New Member

State:
    Texas
    I am considering putting my trap out the night before but am concerned about someone stealing it. Those of you that do so have any thoughts on this? Also when setting it out do you let it sink or try to keep it closer to the surface maybe with the entrance hole just below the surface or something?

8. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I like to submerge it near weeds in the shallows.

9. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Unfortunately traps do get stolen, try to keep it in area that is concealed.

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have used them for many years in many places in both fresh and salt water.Tie or stake it off with a WIRE.Day or night Raccoons WILL often steal the trap with minnows or crawfish and go hide to get into it.They will gnaw string.I have found traps and the remains in culverts,(good set)weeds,brush,marsh,under a car in a busy parking lot,hung in the bob wire on top of a 8 foot industrial chain link fence and once in a tree.Try one first in your area.Buy more if they work.Most work best for crappy size minnows as is.Make four evenly spaced one inch deep slits in the wire of the throat if you need to open the throat up for larger minnows.You can bend these slightly in and out to adjust throat for minnow sizes.I have tried cutting the wire throat several ways and this worked the best for me,as it leaves it adjustable.Cat fish love these minnows as do all large sunfish.Wish you as much luck as I had with them.Let us know how they do in your area.Caution!Make sure to check carefully for and release any illegal species.Just dumping the contents into your bait bucket can be expensive if you are checked and found with a protected species.peewee-williams

11. maverick43812

maverick43812 New Member

State:
    ohio
    yes i have that exact trap. it works real well forminnows and decent size creek chubs. best thing to use in it around my area has been bread but ive heard of dry dog food workin well evry where else in it