Minnow trap tips needed!

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by jerellman, May 14, 2006.

1. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    i am constructing a 2 liter bottle minnow trap and have the basic structure complete, i just need tips on making it an all around better trap.

2. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    What is it that you need help with exactly; more details.

3. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    well i need a way to secure the bait in the holding tank (probably dog/cat food or bagel/bread) and i need a way to get the entrance hole a little bigger but not too big so the fish can easily get out

4. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    here are some photos of the trap i have come up with, if u have any suggestions or questions, just post 'em.

Attached Files:

5. confederate

confederate New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey Jerell that trap you have built looks good..It oughta catch you a dozen or so minnows, hard to say how many depends on the size of the minnows. If you bait it with the cheapest Saltine crackers you can find(high fat and sodium) they seem to work the best, around here it is Freds, Big Lots, or the Dollar store. Minnows don't need Ritz or any of the fancy stuff. By the way do you have a boat?

6. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I have a couple suggestions or comments on your bottle trap.
    I would secure the bait in the top of the bottle where the cap unscrews. Cover the back side, the side toward the minnow entrance with pantie hose or fiberglass screen material secured to the sides with maybe hot glue? This would have to be done before you secure the bottom or minnow entrance to the bottle. To bait you would unscrew the cap stuff in the crackers, dog food, whatever and then screw the cap back on. The screen material would keep the food from the fish but let out enough to keep them interested.
    I would try the size of the hole the way it is but I would remove whatever it is that makes the entrance look , milky. Want that area to be as clear as possible, if the minnows can see any difference they will investigate and possibly find their way out. Just my thoughts.

7. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    You need to take and put some holes in the throat/funnel part, as for what you need for a bait box, I can't come up with anything for now, I have had a long day... If I thing of something, I will post here or PM you!

Aaron

TA2D

8. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    In a trap like that you can just crumble up some saltines or cut up 1 chicken liver and place it in there... i used to use the cheapest crackers that CVS has and caught fish like crazy... and don't worry about enlarging the hole... for that size trap you don't want a large opening... trust me the fish will get in there if they want whats in there... only thing i'd say too is pull it fairly regularly... once twice a day because the smaller fish become bait for the larger ones and crayfish but you'll only get one or maybe 2 big ones as opposed to a dozen slightly smaller ones...

9. douglas_413

douglas_413 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I have always made my minnow traps out of wire mesh. I'm not sure on the size but I think it was 1/4" mesh. I have caught up to 6" creek chubs, large crawdads, and sometimes if you throw a little bit of liver in you can get leeches. I do not usually bait my trap unless I am tring to get some leeches and I never have any problem with catching enough minnows.

Just make sure you check your local game laws as here in NE, traps can be no larger than 1/4" square mesh, 24" (Length) X 16" (diameter) with a 1" throat.

Here is a pic of the type of trap I make.

Attached Files:

10. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    what do you mean by milky? is it the actual entrance hole or the cracked stuff? and sorry, i dont have a boat =(

11. KanHeadhunter

KanHeadhunter New Member

State:
    S. E. K.
    In the libary there is a trap called "bob's bluegill trap" This is a great trap for catch gills and bullheads. He use 1/2 mesh wire. You could build the same thing and use 1/8 or 1/4 wire. I have had good luck with this trap!!