Minnow trap funnels

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Shinchan, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Shinchan

Shinchan New Member

State:
    HI but now WA
    Aloha! Does anyone know how to make funnels (out of hardware cloth/wire) for different size minnow traps? I tried to use the Cabela's minnow trap, worked great except the hinge part broke and well as the part that the retrieving line gets clipped to. Since I have some leftover rolls of hardware cloth from gardening, I'd thought I'd make my own different sized cylindrical traps(diameter-wise) for different depths. Problem is I have no idea how to make the funnel part. Any ideas? Mahalo, Randy

2. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    there's some great plans for that type of stuff in the library bud!

3. fishinhole

fishinhole New Member

State:
    Georgia
    You could always try www.youtube.com they seem to have alot of doit yourself type stuff on there. Talk to you later. Good luck!!

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    A funnel is just a cone with the tip removed, and a cone is just a large pie-shaped piece of a circle.

Make patterns with paper 'till you have what you want, then cut your hardware cloth and roll it up. Little zip-ties might be your best bet for holding it all together.

5. Shinchan

Shinchan New Member

State:
    HI but now WA
    Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll do that. Probably best to make the cone/funnel shape first then make the cylinder match to fit... Yeah, I know, horse before the cart...:roll_eyes: Mahalo, Randy

6. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I think you'll find most store bought traps are 12" diameter, with a max throat size of 1.25 inches.