Minnow Trap - Can you build one out of a 2 liter bottle?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by catfish1516, May 8, 2006.

1. catfish1516

catfish1516 New Member

State:
    Reidsville ,North Carolina
    is there a way to build a minnow trap out of a 2-liter bottle​

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I am sure there is I just don't know how.

3. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Here are some simple diagrams I just drew, It should give you a baisic idea on how to do this.

Attached Files:

4. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Here is another way that is a little easier to get the minnows out. Hope this helps

Aaron

TA2D

Attached Files:

5. NCCatter

NCCatter Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I've seen that on some Boy Scout website before, but I dont' think it would hold too many fish. Unless you used a 3 liter bottle, I dont' think a sizeable baitfish could enter it. Someone who has tried it let us know how well it works.

6. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    They dont work the greatest, but they will catch fish and in the proper locations they can get pretty full. They will only catch minnows up to about 2-21/2 inches and very small sunfish, the sides are too slick for crawfish to enter.

Aaron

TA2D

7. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    do you think it would still work if you cut of the nozzle part of the trap so its big enough to fit larger bait?

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I have used jugs before and fruit jars but have never tryed bottles we used wire screen to make a funnel with the hole large enough to catch them minnows we wanted we would tie two lines on each end of the jars about three ft. long tie to two stakes bait with corn meal put the open end down stream in about two feet of running water then we would check every hr. or two good luck trying it pastor Ed

9. playinghooky

playinghooky New Member

State:
    north carolina
    i think it would work in a pinch thanks for the idea

10. OklahomaFever

OklahomaFever New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
  11. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    I built one in the style of the 2nd one (using two bottles) a few weeks ago. I set it out for an hour while catching bait in my local stream. I saw plenty of minnows around it, but none ever entered the trap. They were curious and would even enter the funnel but none would commit. Not sure why?

12. suddawg

suddawg New Member

I've done this as a kid. It worked fairly well in small creeks with very weak currents.

SudDawg

Attached Files:

13. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    That's a neat design Shane. I'll have to try that one.
    Funny how I'll toy around with things like that with a store-bought trap sitting on the shelf. Guess it's the thought of catching something on a home made contraption that I like.

14. suddawg

suddawg New Member

Thanks. SSHHHHH, don't tell anyone, but an old bass fisherman taught me that. :lol:

SudDawg