Minnow trap baits??

Discussion in 'Fishing Bait Review' started by miichael, Jul 8, 2006.

1. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    What is the best bait to put in a minnow trap? I got a old sock and put dry dogfood and bread inside it and tied it up and put it in my minnow basket 2 days later i go back and have 1 horny head and 26 crawfish. I kept all the crawfish. put them in a 55gallon barrel in my basement so when i need some i'll know there they are.

2. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    I have a trap but have not got to use it yet. No where close where I can put it in. I will also keep an eye on this post for bait recs.

3. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    The creek i put it in is about 3-4 foot wide with a few holes about 2-3 foot deep. i put the basket back under a tree stump in the bend of the creek where water was about 3 foot deep. The horny head i caught was 4 inches long which would prob make great bait. i know there has to be some minnows, shiners, or more horny heads in there. just need to keep the craw fish out.

4. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have only used my minnow trap once. I caught a shiner after 10 hours, and only had Steak n Shake crackers as my bait. I use it more or less as a hold for my bluegill when I first get to the river. A month ago I had my bluegill in the trap and after 2 hours I was ready to re-bait. Low and behold I had a water snake in the trap tryin' to get a free meal!!! Luckily all the bluegill survived their visitor LOL.

5. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Michael, you are on the right track with your choice of dry dog food. I think your only problem is location of your trap. If your creek is safe..not worried about someone stealing your trap..I'd find a rif and just below or just above it should be a nice little pool. You know where the craw dads are, so now you need to move away from that spot and find a pool about three to six feet around and like you did last time, two or three feet deep. I'd toss the sock back in the laundry and let the dog food attract my bait. I have a couple of 24" minnie traps that are round and one 48" round but I use dry catfood. You should have plenty of response to your bait in 4-6hrs. Over night is fine, but I never had the luxury of a safe place to trap my minnows & chubs without worrying about someone stealing my set.
    Don

6. suddawg

suddawg New Member

If you're catching that many crawdads, then find another spot. Crawdads are predators also, and catch/eat small fish.

TA2D uses dry cat food. It seems to be more oily than dog food probably because cat food is almost all meat product. It works great. We've had days checking his traps with two or three dozen minnows and chubs. Just got to find the right spots, luckily we have many.

SudDawg

7. miichael

miichael New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I am worried about someone stealing it because the creek is not on my land. Thats why i put it up under a tree tump in a bend hoping noone will see it. I may try another place and see what happens for just 1 day. Besides whats the chances of someone walking up on my trap in middle of the woods.

8. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Using bread wil cut down on the crawdads hard rolls are good

9. eggman

eggman New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    I have pretty good luck with a strip of raw bacon and maybe some stale bread thrown in. Lately all i am catchin are baby gills, bout the size of a quarter. Almost too small for bait but they are Cute little guys.

egg