Minnow Stink Bait

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by vswanson, Jul 24, 2006.

1. vswanson

vswanson New Member

State:
    texas
    Hi guys

I am new to this site but there seems to be a lot of good info in here. I have been fishing since I was old enough to walk. Recently someone asked me about a minnow stink bait has anyone every heard of such a thing????:embarassed:

2. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    I've never heard of that, but maybe some stinkbait gurus will help you out. Welcome to the BOC!

3. vswanson

vswanson New Member

State:
    texas
    Thank you I think I am gonna like here:big_smile:

4. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Where are you located in Texas? My uncle form Brady Texas once used a minow stink bait he called it I think "Kowanow minnows". The first name"Kowanow" was the town its made in. Im probably spelling it wrong but thats how it sounded. Basically it was a stink bait that had minnows in it. We caught channels all day long on it.

All I remember was the name of the bait was the name of the town it is made in, and apparently its only sold in that town.

5. vswanson

vswanson New Member

State:
    texas
    I am very close to brady it would be san angelo and I was hoping someone could tell what was in it. I guess they don't make it anymore, but I think i am gonna try to come up with something close to it.

6. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    After doing some research I am unable to find any city in Texas even close to Kowanow, Kawano, Kanwko or anyting similar. I might have heard him wrong.

7. vswanson

vswanson New Member

State:
    texas
    Thanks for trying

8. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    My family grew up in San Angelo, most of my family live in San Angelo and my Uncle lives in Brady. Can you think of any towns close by that might start with a K or could me mistaken for Kowanow? My uncle wouldnt Travel far to get them so Id think they be somewhere between Brady and San Angelo.

9. vswanson

vswanson New Member

State:
    texas
    I am looking at a map and I am not seeing anything that comes close.

10. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I never got to fish much down that part. I grew up in Dallas/Fort worth area, but both my mom and dad grew up and lived in San Angelo. My uncle probably caught more than 100 flatheads from the concho river that were over 30-40+ pounds. And my dad talked about finding fresh water pearls in the clams from the lake I forgot which one, I believe its lake Ivy?

We used the miinow stink bait your talking about in a stock pond and caught about 20-30 channels 2-7 pounds on it and worms. It had a really strong ordor and was like punch bait, it was kinda hard to keep on the hook but even the tiniest bit that stay on would produce a cat.

11. vswanson

vswanson New Member

State:
    texas
    Well I am gonna try and make some we have a plant around here called cattails I am hoping that will give it some staying power and if anyone has any ideas for other ingredents I would love to hear about them.

12. janton311

janton311 New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I have no idea about the bait but...WELCOME TO THE BOC...

13. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Welcome to the BOC the best catfishing site on the net!:big_smile:

14. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Cattail are great to mix in to make it thicker. We put some in our home stink baits to make it hold stronger.

What we did is buy an old blender from a garage sale. Blend up your main bait(shad,minnow,worms,grasshoppers, liver, etc) add in some flour and cattails let it sit a day or 2 so it sours and stinks. You can use cornmeal instead of flour. Also we've had luck adding some molasus. It also makes the bait sticky and stronger.

15. vswanson

vswanson New Member

State:
    texas
    Thank you For the tips hopefully that will work and as far as going I think I am gonna be to busy working lol And thanks for welcoming me

16. gilly

gilly New Member

State:
    Texas
    I think he might be referring to Quanah, TX.

Just a thought.

17. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    A friend of mine from s Tx uses this bait. It is just minnows with some cattail. He says the guy that sells it is in the fish oil business. He catches 4 or 5 gallons of minnows, dries them on a screen,but not totally dry.Grinds them, Puts them in a bucket until they drain lots of oil. He carefully drains off the oil and sells it. The bait is a secondary business. It is Quanah bait. I am 20 miles s of San Angelo, where is your bait shop?

Jim

18. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    oh, dryer lint works as well as cattail IMO.

19. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    and

"I think he might be referring to Quanah, TX. "

Thanks a bunch guys. Im so glad someone was able to come through on this. It was bothering me all night.

20. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

if you can't find the monnow stink bait they do make a shad flavor stink bait.