Minnow/shinner bait?

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by beertools, Apr 23, 2009.

1. beertools

beertools New Member

State:
    georgia
    I was thinking about chopping up some live minnows/shinners and putting them on a 5/0 hook circle for cut bait. I can't fish for bait untill sat. morning. Has anyone done this? I was also thinking about cut them up small and putting them in panty hose like chicken liver. :confused2:

2. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I HAVE NEVER CUT THEM UP INTO REALY SMALL PIECES BUT I HAVE TOOK THE BIGGER ONES CUT THEM IN HALF AND PUT BOTH PIECES ON THE HOOK.I CAUGHT SEVERAL ETEN SIZE CATS ON THEM AND 1 THAT WENT ABOUT 15#.I WOULD RATHER USE CUT SHAD THOUGH ITS ALOT BETTER BAIT FOR FISHING AROUND HERE, BUT THE SHINERS WILL WORK.

3. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I went down to the dock one morning, all the minnows were dead and the bait shop wasn't open yet. I just put the dead minnows on a hook and cast out there. Pretty soon I had a bite. Some folks use the larger minnows as cut bait if they are dead.

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Here the bait shops sell a crappie minnow, which is fairly small, and a bass minnow which is 3 to 4 inches long. I use the large minnows and thread them on the hook like a worm, starting in the mouth and bending the minnow as it passes up the shank of the hook. Bring the point out near the tail fin. Then you have a bait that pretty much stays on the hook until the catfish take it. Fairly effective way of fishing minnows. If you hook them as though you were fishing for general type fish, they'll get knocked off the hook fairly easy. By threading them, the percentage of hook ups on catfish is greatly increased.

5. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    What I sometimes do is take a bunch of any kind of small minnow(I usually use shad) and grind them up in a food processor..Then put a couple of sponge squares in a mason jar and pour the juice in the jar..Let it ripen a couple hours in the sun then use the sponges on a treble hook..Works great for me but really smells bad after it ripens though..

6. rhuffman

rhuffman New Member

State:
    pa
    I cut big ones in half and put both halves on. The small ones I'll put three or four right on live then stomp on tmem. Had good results both ways.

7. BigOBear

BigOBear New Member

State:
    TX
    I've had luck with cut minnows mostly early and late in the year. When I use them, I cut them in half and usually put 4 pieces on.