Minnow seine

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by tomcat85, Jan 17, 2007.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    I want to get a minnow seine to catch chubs for channel cat bait. The reg book says it has to be not over 4 foot square or in diameter can you get one that size? any help would be great.

2. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Lots of luck catching chubs in a seine. I have tried and if you are not a lot faster then I am you won't catch Meany. I use them a lot, they are great bait. I just get me a small rod and real some worms and catch them. They are a lot of fun to catch. Almost as much fun and the bigger ones I plan on catching.

3. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Haha thanks rusty how do i get into a mess of these things. i have a small creek that runs through town ive got a few in there but never a ton i want to catch at least 20-30 for a day of fishing.

4. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    The trick to seining for chubs is to find a bottleneck in a creekand work your way up towards the bottleneck.Also milky,muddy water is way better because they wont see your feet and legs as far away.

Be forewarned that muddy water will also net you alot of crawdads and possibly water snakes.

5. bigcatmaniac

bigcatmaniac New Member

State:
    California Miss
    I have tried many times to catch chubs in a seine, it is harder than anything else i have tried to catch. I use either a minnow trap baited with dog food, i will also use a cast net in a deep hole, or i will use an ultra light combo and a small hook baited with nightcrawler. I would try to catch the chubs in small creeks, and on the downstream side of a drain tube.

Good luck at catching a bunch of chubs.

6. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    Thanks guys anyone know where i can get a 4 foot length and diameter minnow seine?

7. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    tom walmart carries them for about 12.00 if that.. local bait stores, i always catch them in creeks... run long ways first.. best with 2 ppl or 3.. 2 on the sticks 1 on the back holding the floats up.. run the bottom across the bottom.. make sure the back of ur net is tilted back further than ur bottom... if long ways in creek down work.,.. go side to side... around weeds and stuff.. go all the way into the bank... say 1! 2! 3! UP then pull up at SAME time... and soon as its out of the water just a little bit.. make the other person grap.. the top of the net or bottom.. and u grab the other end and hold them shut... ppl use tobacco sticks for handle.. my uncle used industrial broom handle he got from his work.. WORKS GREAT they float even.. just to warn ya.. if u get in a hold over 4 foot deep... the back wont stay afloat... if this dont work.. have a pole, bobber, and some redworm... sure way to catch them here... i would try to find a small creek along side the road out of town somewhere.. no telling whats in the towns creek thingie... hope this helps... ask for more info

8. Phatdaddy

Phatdaddy New Member

State:
    ohio
    you'll get way more bait in a trap than with a seine, but you will be in really good shape after using the seine for awhile...kinda like a workout at the gym.

9. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    haha awesome i need to work out anyways lol. Thanks guys for all the info ill probably get one on payday. Hopefully they have the size i need.

10. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Okay, so are we talking about a seine or an umberella net? The seine is usually 4' by 20' with 1/4 inch mesh. The umberella net is generally 42" X 42". Seines take two people to operate, the umberella net takes one. If you are not talking about the umberella net, you may want to look into one for your needs.

Attached Files:

11. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    im talking about a minnow seine ive never tried one of those nets before how do they work?

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The operation of the umberella net is fairly simple. As the picture shows, it is a square appx 42" X 42". The netting material lies flat on the bottom of the creek or lake bed. There are 4 spring rods which runs from each corner of the net to a central device which holds the rods together. When assembled for use, the rods are bowed and the net fabric is stretched tight. Then a line is attached from the device which holds the four corner rods together to a large diameter pole about 12 to 14 feet long. You put the net in the water, throw some bread or such on top to attract the bait. Then you raise up on the pole fast, trapping the fish inside the net. I used a net of this type when I fished the Chesapeake bay. I wouldn't go flounder fishing until I had a minimum of 20 dozen minnows (chubs). That would generally last about 4 hours to 1 change of tide. These nets are used where you don't have the luxury to use a 20' seine.

13. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    thank brother! im going to have to call the fish commission to see if they will let me use one!

14. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    If you can find one, there are also castnets with 1/4" netting, about the same as a minnow seine or umbrella net. But, the tend to be expensive.

A friend and I fish the Brazos in Texas from time to time, actually, he fishes it often, I live 150 miles away. We use a two man minnow seine. Mostly, we get these 1/2" to 1" river minnows, skinny little buggers. But they are effective. Last trip out, he reported a 31 lb and an 18 lb flattie. We've caught blues up to 10 lbs and channels up to 8 with those little minnows. Just put two to four on the hook, squeeze the juices out of them and cast away.

15. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    All 4 methods of catching creek chubs that is.
    If you just wanna fish get a fly rod and the smallest hook in your tackle box for bait or just use a tiny fly and wade the creek.The minnows follow the same rules the big fish do. Try fishing structure. That lone rock in the middle of the creek in deeper water might just hold a lunker minnow. I've spent a quiet sunday afternoon just fishing for minnows. :big_smile:.

minnow traps are good left overnight. Bait with bread or dogfood. I drop mine over the side of several creek bridges.

You can get minnow seines 6 feet long. Use 2 broomsticks and walk behind them walking up stream. Around here a 6 foot wide creek is a pretty good creek.there are literally hundreds of them.

I use the umbrella net in the same places I use the minnow trap. Fished like someone above said with bread chunks for bait.

Best of luck and most important have fun.
    just
    :big_smile:

16. chipblevins

chipblevins New Member

State:
    salem, va
    wally world has them ive also seen them at dick sporting goods,its alot easier to spend 7 bucks for a minnow trap and put it in some current and leave overnight. i catch alot of chubs that way, also crayfish which channels will hit.