Minnow poll

Discussion in 'Crappie Fishing' started by catfishhunter17, Jul 19, 2007.

1. catfishhunter17

catfishhunter17 New Member

State:
    indiana
    what size minnows do you all use ????just wonderin
    JR

2. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
    I usually use 3" shiners or 4" creek chubbs.:0a23:

3. FordTruckGuySTX

FordTruckGuySTX New Member

State:
    Caryville, TN
  4. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    the smallest minnows the bait shop has. usually around 3".

5. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    4 to 6 inch blue back herring. I usually cut them in half when I use them. Sometime I do fish the live though.(whole)

6. duckriverdave

duckriverdave New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I'm with tufffish. For crappie I get whatever the bait shop has. I don't want any that are too small (less than 2").

drd

7. catfishhunter17

catfishhunter17 New Member

State:
    indiana
    does any body catch crappie on creek chubs?

8. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    I like them down to 1 1/2 inch on Toledo Bend. If you are stuck w/ a bunch of small shiners and the crappie like the bigger stuff, try tipping a jig w/ a shiner hooked thru the lip this will work sometime.

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I fished with a guide here a few years ago. He used "Little Reds", he said that was the best crappie minnow. They are to hard keep alive in hot weather and usually the bait shops stop having them in the hot weather for they can't keep them alive.

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Here nothing over 2". 1 1/2 " is better.

11. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I dont think what we use would be considered minnows since some are close to 3 inches. We use plenty of air and ice in hot weather!!! Just throw a soda bottle in deepfreeze and instant cooling power and tastes good later on!!:tounge_out:

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    The local bait shop refrigerates their water but when it gets hot they stop selling Little Reds. They have regular crappie minnows all summer.

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Wow! How big are the Crappie where you guys are? Do you have any pictures of them?I saw Mr.Fost's 5 lb.record Crappie from the Santee in the 50's.I don;t think it could swallow some of these baits.We have a little native guppy in the south east US.It is a top water minnow.The females get to around 2",have a white belly with a black dot on each side and give live birth.These potbellied female minnows are some of the best bait I have ever used for all fish from small to large.All types of Bream,Crappie,Bass,Catfish,Pickerel,perch,you name it will hit this little minnow.I think they are a type of "fish candy".I have caught 6 lb.Bass and 10 lb.Bowfin on these little minnows.They stay alive well too under harsh conditions.Heat is our biggest bait killer down here be it Minnows,worms,Crickets or grubs.The only way that I have found to keep minnows alive in hot weather is to rig a bait well or tank to pull in river water and overflow back overboard.This is not hard to rig with a garbage can,a pump on a hose over the side when you are still and a overflow hose.Hull fittings picked up at BP.will work for the hoses.Tubing run out the back of the boat and stuck down just under the bottom of the boat will force water to bait with a boat on a plane.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

14. MinnesotaFishing

MinnesotaFishing New Member

State:
    minnesota
    We usually use a Feathered Jig head with a Crappie Minnow ( which is about 2 inchs) and have been doing a pretty decent job in pulling out 15 and 16 inch crappies we usually limit out which is 10 each so about 30 of them aday. a few years back we where pulling 2 lbs white crappies out of a chain of lakes by our house in 2 foot of water using the same set up. The 15 and 16 inch crappies are around a lbs and a half

15. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Rosie Reds, they work GREAT for crappie.
    Otherwise, we normally get mediums which are about 2-3 inch minnows.