Minnow/Perch Traps on lake

Discussion in 'TEXAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by mmccalli, Nov 7, 2007.

1. mmccalli

mmccalli New Member

State:
    Texas
    I built a trap the other day. I tried it out on my home lake and had no luck. The water I put it in was pretty muddy, so I am going to try another spot that is in pretty clear water where i can actually see the bait fish. Anyone have any suggestions on how to improve your luck with traps. Also, the lake has a pretty healthy shad population. Does anyone ever catch shad in their traps? Thanks

2. bobby-catfishing

bobby-catfishing New Member

State:
    Highland Villag
    Matt,
    I've never caught a shad in a minnow/perch trap. I've caught minnows, perch, other assorted fish, crawfish, a baby turtle and an 18" snake. I can't remember what kind of snake it was, but the trap got to soak a few more hours before I decided to pick it up again. That snake was going nuts when I pulled it up out of the water. He might of got one easy meal, but it just didn't pay off for him that day.

3. dominoman

dominoman New Member

State:
    Dale, Texa
    I had built a trap for perch sometime back, it worked pretty good on my tank, never tried it in the lake. It doesn't work so well since I backed over it with the dual wheels of my truck. Did have experience with a cast net on a creek one night, you've never lived until you pull a 2' cottonmouth into a 10' jon boat with a cast net. Got kinda cramped in there real quick.

Snake got to keep the net.

4. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i always put mine in clear water and bait with dog food or cattle cudes. I like to place them near some structure like big rocks or a tree in water.

5. mmccalli

mmccalli New Member

State:
    Texas

Yeah my luck I'd get a rattle snake. And yes they do swim. So perch no shad. Well i gues I need to learn ho wto throw a cast net.Thanks guys

6. hillcountryfishin

hillcountryfishin New Member

State:
    tx
    Like the fella's said..I usually put them in creeks or under a dock suspended with dog food or cubes....I worry about "others" finding my perch trap more times than not.
    Snakes, now there's something I gave a 14 ft jon boat to one night on the river....running lines and the guy fell outta a tree into my partners lap...we bailed out and let him have the boat...swam to bank and got our boat back at the next gravel bar..LOL ...minus the snake...ahh the good ol days..lol
    thanks

7. barrelbritches

barrelbritches New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have built a number of perch traps , but they just want stay were i put them. Some one else has a better spot for them.

8. young fisher

young fisher New Member

State:
    Texas
    for shad i go at night and go near lights where they feed on bugs and throw a cast net. also use the traps in around dock bulkheads and in 4-5 feet water. make sure that the trap is in a place were the perch and bluegill get courious

9. catfishjon

catfishjon New Member

State:
    texas
    You can put a white drink cup in the bait compartment of your trap and catch lots of perch if the water is not real muddy. Perch have to be where you place the trap. During cold weather they go deeper and leave the shallow water. You can draw them in with dog food, bread, or most anything. Bait the area for a few days and you will catch plenty. I have a large tank that I can trap around 400 perch in one afternoon using 4 traps. I use nothing but white drink cups and place the traps in about 2 to 3 feet of water. Don't give up and you will save lots of money. Live perch cost about 9 bucks a pound at the bait stands. Thats about 15 to 20 of their perch. It adds up quick. Catfishjon

10. rom

rom New Member

State:
    Texas
    I put out two that I built and caught about 6-8 per trap about 2 weeks ago on Lake Livingston but after the temperture dropped I didn't do any good, Guess I needed to be deeper when it gets colder.

11. mmccalli

mmccalli New Member

State:
    Texas
    I did about 4 foot of water 2 weeks ago. Could see perch, but no dice. Didn't catch a one. Used dry dog food this time. I may try the cup thing. Water is getting colder though. Actually I think the high on thanksgiving is going to be around 40 so it will get even cooler.

12. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i used to use perch traps until a guy had me read page 34 of the outdoor annual of the hunting and fishing regulations. it says perch traps are legal in saltwater only. i have not talked to a game warden to see what his take on this is. as soon as i run into one and ask him i will post his reply here. i will also email the tpw office and ask for a clarification from them. minnow traps are legal but will not catch very big perch.

13. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    i asked the local warden & he said perch traps are illegal in texas lakes!!!!

14. mmccalli

mmccalli New Member

State:
    Texas
    No these are minnow traps. They fit the 1x3'' regulations. i have had friends though that catch perch in them and there is a guy a Alan henry that catches shad in them. So Yeah I guess if they were not within regulation they would be illegal, but all dimensions of my traps are legal.

15. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    oh ok, i rarely ever see or hear of anyone catching perch in them though w/the small openings. bigger ones yes, but like others said someone else always has another use for them instead of just leaving them alone!!!!

16. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    I catch lots of perch in mine with legal size and openings. Most are under4" though.

Jim