minnow feed

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Phil Washburn, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    ok, i finally got my bait tank up and running. had a little trouble figuring out what kind of filter to use, but i have it now. i have been feeding my bait (goldfish and minnows) dry dog food. i have one goldfish that has survived for a couple of months, but everything else died. i think improper filtration caused their demise, but i am not sure. is dry dogfood ok for food? i surely ain't gonna buy fishfood - too expensive. what does everyone else use?

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Phil I am not sure on this one. I would think it would be ok but I have never keep bait for long times a week at best for me.

3. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Phil,

I maybe wrong about this, but I think you can get a huge jar of it for like 10bucs. That Jar is massive and should last a long time!! I mean I guess dog food would work but I think thier mite be stuff in the fish food to help them with stuff, you know special gold fish vitamins:p.

How many Fish you gots in thier how big are they?

4. Ravensmavsfan

Ravensmavsfan New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,OH
    Crushed ceral is what i feed mine twice a day.

5. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Phil,

You didn't say what type of filter you use, bu the problem may be ammonia buildup in the water. Just using a mechanical filter will not really provide sustained longterm water quality. Check out the local library on large aquarium lit. You'll probably need to to regular water changes of 25% or more. I have a 1000-gallon garden pond near my bait tank, so I just take makeup water from the pond, and the makeup the pond later. You can add activated carbon media to the flow system of the filter to remove the ammonia as well. You don't need to feed baitfish a whole lot, it just clogs the filter sooner. We keep gills, chubs, shiners, and other out of the local creek in a 20 gallon tub. As long as the temp stays under about 90 degrees, they keep for 2 weeks sometimes while we're waiting for a good trip.

6. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    :confused: Your suppose to feed um? Dog food makes great bait to catch um, but if you are using it to feed them, my first thought is your giving them to much. I have had half a dozzen minnows stay alive almost 2 weeks in a five gallon bucket with no pump and no food and just adding a little fresh water every day. Of course this is in the winter! In the summer, I am lucky to keep them alive from bait store to the river! :crying:

7. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    depending on how big your tank is an all, i would think a small can of catfood (the processed and basically big lump out of the can) would work to sustain them for a while... I've done that w/ 20+ chubs (4-6 inches) in a 10 gal tank (undergravel filter) and they stayed alive 2 weeks or so... sometimes the fish just die on you... one thing though if you notice one or two died get them out of the tank ASAP... they will become breeding grounds for bacteria and other nasties that will do harm to the rest...

I guess some other alternatives for food for them is oatmeal, cereal (crushed) and/or smaller fish depending on what size the fish are you have and what kind they are..

8. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    When I had a bait shop I fed mine a saltine cracker. The salt helps there scales, dog food would dirty up the tank and I never had much luck with it. I would not feed them the 1st couple of days after I got a new batch. I used white vinager to clean the tanks between batchs then rinse with clean water and let dry, dont use soapy water. Also dont let people put there hands in the water.

9. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    dont think it would be good for a tank but the bait cage i have in the river i take a hunk of white bread and ball it up as tight as i can and drop it in there. ive had continuous shiners in the thing for months at a time w/ only a few dying.

10. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    I bought a cheap minnow trap, I do not have an idea what type of food to put in there to lure the fish into the trap. :confused:

11. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    Verlon,

You can use a ball of wheaties packed real tight for minnows, chubs, and even bullheads. Bread works OK. Try bacon for crawfish.

12. sbursik

sbursik New Member

State:
    McKinney Texas
    I have kept minnows alive a LONG time just using goldfish food. The flakes work just fine. I think mine were more healthy than when I got them at the store. I used a filter with charcoal cartridges and an air pump to keep the water oxygenated. You can get the goldfish food by the pound as some fish stores. Its pretty cheap.

13. SilverCross

SilverCross New Member

State:
    Fairbury, Illin
    Verlon, Bread crumbs and or saltine crackers both work in my siene. I use a tea ball to put mine in, hang it in the middle then use a paper clip and a rubber band from the opposite side.

14. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Verlon,

Any assortes bread/cracker/stale thing your wife let you have. Will work :D

15. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    I have a fish tank with Minnows in it that I had for - (get this) - "almost three years"! :eek:

I didn't beliver they would last that long, so there became members of the home - (now all I have to do is get them to pay me rent! (LOL :happy: )

But I just feed them "Flake Goldfish Food" - they we last a long time & get pretty large.

Bert :cool:

16. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Verlon,

I've used pieces of bread, dry dog food and crackers in my traps. Good Luck!