minnow and crayfish trapping

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by BIG_D, Mar 16, 2009.

1. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    well iv had a heck of a hard time catching bait so i have resorted to trapping made up a few of the funel tipe outa 2 liter botles and set theam this evning hoping this workes out any one else having to resort to trapping bait

2. msucatfish

msucatfish New Member

State:
    mississippi
    i made 2 of the bream traps found in the member library, one has big doorways for bream maybe 2.5-3 inches tall, the other I made with little doorways maybe 1 inch or 1.5 inches, I cant really remember. Anyhow they work great, I was really suprised how small a hole a really big fish could get in. I was getting eating size bluegills and minnows maybe 4-5 inches long. I just baited it with some cottonseed meal I got at the co-op, and probably had 20-40 in each one after 1 night. I've seen the coke-bottle traps thought of making one for crawfish, let us know how it works.

3. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    easiest way i know is to use a seine,to me making traps and all that stuff is just unnecessary work and time.

4. bobcat2000

bobcat2000 New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    i made traps that whisler has ,they work good---i put a can of dog food in them just put small holes in the can

5. bobcat2000

bobcat2000 New Member

State:
    southcarolina
    what is a seine?

6. atvracer

atvracer Member

State:
    IN-47501

I agree...although I did buy a minnow trap last week! Seining is one of the fastest and easiest way to getting baitfish and crawdads. We seine near the river bottoms in the backwater left behind after a flood. Normally the waterways are in the lowlying areas of the field. With all the rain this year there should be plenty of bait for some time. The water holes need to be narrow...I have seined waterways from 10 foot to 50 feet wide, the narrower it is the less room for bait to escape.

To the person above asking about a seine, it is a net with 1/4 inch mesh about 4 feet high and however long your state allows(12 foot in Indiana). Poles are attached to both ends and it is drug through the water and back to dry land. I sometimes seine by myself, not easy but it still works.

7. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Morning Big D, I Made two of the minnow traps out of the Two liter soda bottles Just for Minnows, And I was just wondering how they worked for you and what you used for bait.
    Phil

8. JHalden

JHalden New Member

State:
    NorthCalifornia
    I just posted another thread about the minnow trap hoping for some help. I tried it out today with 1 cut up nightcrawler inside and that didnt work so i added some bread and still nothing. The baitfish were schooling very close not interested. It was very close to shore though so once I find a way to keep it attatched to a line or somethin ill try it out deeper. Do you think the fish would be picky about the sticker residue left on the side after takin the label off?