Minnesota ruffed grouse hunting

Discussion in 'MINNESOTA RIVERS TALK' started by Abu65, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Do any of you all hunt Grouse up there? I make an annual trip into Minnesota every year. How is the fishing up there in mid October?

2. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I try to get out a few times a year for grouse, though the grouse numbers are way down lately which makes grouse hunting just a walk in the woods.
    Don't do a whole lot of fishing at that time of year, out squirrel hunting and duck hunting that is also my busy season at work so it leaves less time for the things I like to do most.

3. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Not much catfishing in October up here.

4. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I hear the grouse numbers are up a little this year. Still not real good but up a little. Is there any good fishing for anything up there in Oct.? Walleyes, crappie or anything else.

5. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I assume you are talking about northern MN? The trout lake season runs untill oct 31. You can get into some great trout fishin up there. As far as other stuff I dont really know. I only fish for trout and flatheads.:lol: But I am sure other fishing is good up there as well.

6. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I here they have been doing good with walleyes in Mil lacs and the red lakes, though I have not fished them yet this year.

7. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    October should be primetime on most lakes & rivers for walleyes and muskies. It ain't called the fall feedbag for nothing!

You may, and I said may, be able to get on some channel cats up on the Red River of the North. I've fished them late into Sept. (last weekend as a matter of fact) last fall and did well. Mid-October is only a few weeks after that so you should still be able to find some fish. I'd imagine they may be on the move a little towards there wintering holes.

Where in MN do you plan on heading?