Minnesota River

Discussion in 'MINNESOTA RIVERS TALK' started by dano40, Mar 20, 2007.

1. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    When is a good time to start fishing the Minnesota river? I was up around Mankato over the weekend the river is very high. But was wondering if it warms up and the river goes down a bit if it would be a good time to start fishing for flatheads. A friend of mine has been catching channels on the Mississippi by the cities all winter long threw the ice and in some open water.

2. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Well the river is flooding out of the banks right now but hopefully by the beginning or the middle May, depending on the weather, I will be out there chasing some flats.

3. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    No use getting too excited yet to fish the river. Like Rob said, its HIGH! If it does go down, it won't take much rain to send it back up again.

Flatheads typically don't become active until 50 degree water temp. Our air temps are still in the 30s-40s so it will take awhile before the river hits 50, and that is typically early May. Yep, that is another 1 1/2 months. It hurts but what can you do, the will only start biting when they are ready too. Doesn't make much sense to fish for them when the odds aren't in your favor.

I'm not sure what it is about this spring but everyone is chomping at the bit to hit the river. Not sure why though? Of the forums I frequent, this has been a common theme. Its spring, its flooding, the river is high. Just let it do its thing and then get after it when the gettin' is good.

Hey Rob, you think you can hold bottom now with an 8oz sinker? I don't. :)

4. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    You'd need about a 3lb weight right now and your bait would be in sad shape after a short bit in that current. It stops amazing me how high the river can get, especailly after how low it has been for so long. It went from a trickle to raging out of its banks in only a couple of days. I wonder if that big tree that fell in last spring will will get blown out the "party bar"? Hopefully it will act as a collector and produce a fat jam there. Lookin forward in hittin the river in your new barge Hanson. Now maybe we can fish some of your spots this summer.:lol:

5. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Hanson, did I here new boat? What did ya get?
    I 'm picking up my new boat next week. I went with the Hipro Riverpro and got the heavy duty bottom upgrade cause there is alot of dead heads and boulders where i fish most. I think this will be my last boat, then again who knows. Can't wait to get her home and finish rigging it. I have heard nothing but good about these Riverpro's so I figured why not. I had only seen one up close a Lopro that the DNR was out playing with. I had asked the officer where he took it and he said he brought that boat into waters that I feared taking my little jon boat with a 6 hp ob on. Anyway good luck with the new boat.:big_smile:

6. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    Oh Dude!

Riverpro baby! You can say I have a large circle of catfishing friends and I know 6 RiverPro HiPro owners, 5 are in MN and 1 is in Montana. I've fished out of every one of their boats numbers of times. You will not regret that decision one bit!

Since budget wouldn't allow for a RiverPro yet, I found a dirt cheap 16' Mirrocraft alum-V last fall. It has a 60hp Johnson console steering. The boat is from the early 80s. The previous owner gutted the inside, layed down a flat plywood floor with carpet and left the project at that. I've got a little work to do in the next month on it but its going to be a sweet cattin' boat.

Attached photos is my buddy Brian's RiverPro. Its actually RiverPro #1 that the In-Fish boys had.

Attached Files:

7. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    hanson,

Sounds like you have a great boat to start with, should work great for cattin. I had two other boats and both were 14 ft tillers ,I found them to small for any more than 1 person, 16 ft is nice. So that's why I needed a new boat.
    My wife made me sell just about everything I had (toys) and pay off her truck and mine before she would let me get the boat. Well I called her bluff and did it! I guess fishing is more important to me than all the other stuff. I guess you could say I just had to get my priorities straight.
    I don't know where ya fish though I might see ya around this summer cause I plan on breaking her in the right way, by fishin.:big_smile:

8. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Right on Dave! Congrats on the River Pro. If you are ever interested in hauling that beast down around Mankato I would be happy to show you some spots.:lol:

9. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    congrats on the New toy Dave. I bet you can't get on the water soon enough.
    thanks
    Larry

10. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    You got that right! I'm picking it up on friday and I won't be able to get her licensed till the next week.:sad2: I guess I'll just have to spend the weekend getting her rigged the way I need it.
    I went to the St. Croix this last weekend to wet a line and found it all open:smile2: man did I wish I had a boat.

11. huntinflatheads

huntinflatheads New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Do you guys know anyone interested in a used RiverPro in southern MN? I love the boat but can't afford to keep it anymore. Ive had it for two years bought it new. It needs to go.

12. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    How much ya asking?

13. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Darren,
    should we go in as partners. Just don't forget about me buddy. My turn to catch fish in your boat this year, if you get one. LOL.

Mine has turned out pretty sweet. Hoping to get out this sat or early next week for trial runs........ WHOO HOOO

14. huntinflatheads

State:
    Minnesota
    If you go to RiverPro Jet Boats web site and check out the 176 HiPro standard package, the picture there is of me and my boat the day I picked it up. That’s me sitting behind the wheel. My brother and cousin are also in the picture.

The only difference this boat has from the standard package shown is the motor. It has a Mercury Sport Jet 175. That was the standard at the time.

It has the 12/24 volt trolling motor bow panel.

I have an extra steel rock grate for it.

It has a Minn Kota trolling motor. 24 volt, AutoPilot, Copilot, 85 lbs. thrust. It was the biggest one I could find.

It has a Lowrance color plotter sonar/GPS. Navionics Hot Maps chip for MN, IA, WI, and MI. I have used it a lot on the Mississippi and the maps are great for checking out new water, and marking holes.

It also had a Vexilar Alumaducer. Last fall it wasn’t working right so I sent it in to Vexilar, they said it had a weak signal, and sent me a new one. I still haven’t installed it, but it wouldn’t take long to get it on.

I had some custom rod holders fabricated for the side compartments, and added foam padding. My St. Croix rods were getting beat up riding in there. The foam also reduced the vibration noise from the boat.

I am asking $17,000 OBO

If you would like to come look at it my # is 507-458-0391

15. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Dang, that sounds like a sweet deal. You are darn near giving it away.
    Where were you 2 months ago?

16. huntinflatheads

State:
    Minnesota
    It needs to go, thats about what I still owe on it. I'd rather not sit on it much longer.

17. Rhinospawn

Rhinospawn New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I was fishing the red down here in grand forks last weekend. I found a couple spots with low current . caught 2 channels about 4 and 8 and some goldeye. yes the river is high and moving good. I got really muddy too but had a good time. I will wait for the feeder creeks to become homes and try them next week..

we'll be on the river soon ...I just get too anxious..lol

18. james_the_walleye

james_the_walleye New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Caught my first flathead today on the mighty Minnesota:big_smile: Its on!!!

19. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Welcome James, this is great news. Congrats on your first flattie of the year.

20. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    Way to go James! Can you embelish us with details? I have been out once and got skunked.