Minnesota river level

Discussion in 'MINNESOTA RIVERS TALK' started by dano40, Aug 23, 2007.

1. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    I was just wondering how high the Minnesota river is, I'm going up there this weekend by Franklin.

2. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Higher than it was before the rains. Not too bad up that way. Was fishing up there last sat when we got most of this rain.

3. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    CHecked out the river today in Shakopee, Chaska, Le Sueur, and St Peter. It has been a few months since I have seen the river at this level. I was shocked to see sandbars I fished a few weeks ago now having 5 or 6 ft of water on them.

Anyone going out this weekend? If so Where? I might get out for a few hours Tonite or Sat, just not sure where I'm going yet.

4. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Was thinking about heading out somewhere tonight but I am feeling too lazy to go catch any bait. I worked a 11hr shift last night and have yet to get a nap.

5. nuthinlikeacat

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Sounds like me...almost to a "T". I'm thinking I will probably hit the st Peter Area tomorrow evening instead. First I have to catch some bait. I've got my spot picked out...now lets just hope the weather cooperates.

6. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Were in for a cherry night on Sat. The weather will be good and the fish are gonna be going nuts!!!!
    Hope you mates are rested up cause some bigguns are gonna try to put the hurten our baits.
    I went out and got stocked for bait. OOOOOOHHHHHEEEEEEE>
    I pumped.
    thanks
    Larry

7. nuthinlikeacat

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    You and me both. I cant wait. I havent been this excited in a while. wanted to go out tonite, but just got too lazy.

8. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

oh man, were i was standing sunday night(last week), this friday(5day latter) had what looked like 8ft of water! absolutely amazing. not much left of the river unless you like casting into the bushes!(ha ha). no actualy we did awsome this weekend. allot of wierd stuff too: piles of stergeon and walleye, and did get good flat action too, loads of bites, and some landed even, nothing big. im under the impression the water warmed up a bit, and the fish seem more active, there just isnt much left of the river, as it is more like a giant lake now.lots of spots i fished had absolutely nothing but logs hitting my line.

9. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    Water temp is actually down about 10 degrees, maybe a bit more.

I had about 71 degrees on Friday night. We were up to 83 degrees or so a few weeks back.

Hey Larry, how'd that Saturday night Spank-the-fish-a-thon go?

10. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    No action till we hit the last spot... 4th.(after 1:00am) Then things went nuts for me. Of course since things were so slow for the previous 6 hours I fudged up my runs. Even missed a couple solid fish on circles. Rushing got a kick out of it.
    I would say that I missed 5 runs and 2 circles.
    It took a while to find the fish. Wish we would have gotten it dialed in sooner. The fish were not where I expected. Got to hand it to Rob keeping us on the move.

Rushing can fill in the details....:confused2:
    thanks
    Larry

11. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Yeah it was kinda like Larry was a little leaguer trying to bat against a major league picture. Swing and a miss, swing and a miss, but at least he was getting bites. I only had one real solid hit but I forgot my reel was engaged.

Sirens, airplanes, big logs, huge barge.....all new to me...well except for the big logs. Was a good time! Larry is a blast to fish with and he makes some damn fine salsa! Next time I think he should take me to where he actually catches fish though. :wink:

Larry I took off that eyelet, measured it for the correct top and the one I ordered should match pretty good. When I am done with it, it should look brand new and be one heck of a stout rod.

12. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota

Sweeet!!! Thanks a ton mate!
    We'll be having that Steak dinner much sooner than I thought. :wink:
    You got any good resaurants in your neck of the woods. Wouldn't want to have to drag you back up the cities again......LOL.
    Glad you found your way home. (gotta tease a little bit mate)

13. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

"barges" ha ha ha... yeah i remember i moment when i was cruzing roughly 30-40mph in my big boat and nearly ran right into one. it was the weirdest thing as the moon light and the barge lights were just right that i wasnt realy shure i was still on the water. words dont describe it. but once i realized what was happening, i drove around it, and the passing was more than real enough for me. hugh upswells and wave fronts, and what seemed like the river changeing 1ft difference in depth. Very very scarry, even though ive basicaly grown up fishing the barge cor section. dont know if everyone here realizes it or not, but apparently the barge has compleate right of way on the river.(like im going to try to block one of them!). i had a pal that retired from that industry, he on one occasion saw a co-worker pop as he fell between the barge and the dock, just as the barge floated inwards. at any rate yeh, weird weekend. i will probably be out next even though the bite is all screwed up.

14. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I did almost get lost once. :eek:oooh:

15. catfisher50

catfisher50 New Member

State:
    minn
    all i hear out there is how high the river is. how is the fishing. that is what is going on. what is being caught.:crazy:

16. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    River has come back down and some fish are being caught.

17. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

yes i agree. fish are slowing down like fall, but we actualy got fish again. im about to hang it up for fall fishing as the lake bite is picking up nicely.

18. nuthinlikeacat

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    YEp, this is my last week of river fishing. them its up to the big pond to pick on some walleyes until the ice freezes over.:smile2: