Minnesota River crappie

Discussion in 'MINNESOTA RIVERS TALK' started by Goldenshinner, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

ok sorry to bring this up on the cat board, but clearly the river catfishermen are the experts of the river. i recently posted a post on tons of dead fish floating that i witnessed. in that mess, i saw afew realy big crappies, i know the mississippi river in spots yields fish up to the 16-18inch size, but have never herd of such a thing in the minnesota river, yet there they were dead and in perfect condition otherwise. so they must be present in the watersystem somewere. so anyone have any suggestions or ideas on were to start looking for large crappies in the minnesota river. i think im not realy supper motivated to systematicaly search them out, more just a curriosity if anyone else has encountered them and were i might occasionaly see such a thing.

2. hanson

hanson New Member

State:
    Plymouth, MN
    They weren't White Bass were they?

I know crappie are prevalent around the marinas on the Mississippi but as for the Minnesota, I have no clue. White Bass on the other hand are all over the place.

3. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I have never seen one caught but have heard of them being caught only in the spring time in flooded back waters. I know of at least one private flooded backwater pond that suppose to have monster crappies in it. You also dont hear of many northerns being caught in the river but I have heard of a couple this year.

4. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

yes! i saw a very nice northern head that would probably went a good 12lb at least.(on the minnesota river) and yes what i saw was definitely crappie, not sure if it was black or white crappie, but definitely crappie, coloration was still present, and the fin shape and head shape is uniquely different than white bass(of which i am familiar with). also saw a several shad(but am unsure of which varriety of shad) my first thought was someone had dumped bait or ahh bucket(ha ha ha). but all items were perfect condition, and they were infact just floating by for most of the night. at one point one of my lines i had to shake off in disgust as 3 skelletons(of half rotten fish flesh) were disintigrating on my line,... somewhat similar to a bunch of river weeds that builds up as the night progresses, just fish based instead. this continued till morning, but i would say by morning it seemed somewhat less stuff floating by, not as bad as at first, cause i tried to count the numbers but lost track as everwere i looked there were floating fish, easily 20-30 fish in plain view of a single counting.

5. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Goldshiner,

There was a big fish kill off in a small river/creek that feeds into the MN river a little while back. Due to extreme low water levels and oxygen depletion. From accounts it was a pretty major fish kill, with lots of really nice sized fish.
    Most of it was cleaned up by the city, but I'm sure that some of it found its way into the rivers.
    I wonder if that is what your seeing. Unless the fish are completely trapped, in the MN river with No flow which would be highly unlikely.
    I would be willing to venture that you saw large quantities but not die off in the MN River.

Ryan,
    Glad you found a good secret bait. Suckers have been working pretty good for me. They have bagged my 45,32 and 22 recently.
    Chubs are probably the best this time of year. With the creeks up it will be interesting to how bait catching goes.

Shore vs. Boat.
    I've been on shore twice this year and had good success. All other times on a boat. 2-3 nights a week since april. Usually manage something. Get the occasional egg now and then.
    This year has been phenominal for me, big walleye, channel, Flats and sturgeon.
    This one will be tough to top.

thanks
    Larry

6. Goldenshinner

Goldenshinner New Member

good to hear someones doing well. that sounds like my fishing last year, it was increadible i think we had several trips in the 8-10 fish(flats) per night. everything we did was phenominal, we saw some of the biggest crappies i have ever seen in the last 15years,afew realy big dogfish, big goldeyes/sturgeon/ monster sheppy(24inches) nice carp and my avatar musky. ...but this year its been bone dry for me. i snapped my line on one of the biggest carp ive seen in a long time. that pretty much put 2 months of dedicated carp fishing down the drain. a pal of mine did pound a monster walleye(34inch) so that helps the moral a tad. i was also happy to see that 52lb cat video!

as to fish kills, this summer has been realy rough. ive walked afew creeks and was surprised to see alot f streaches compleatly dry to the bottom. some few pools remained and were bright green, with dead carcases on the surface. i think some of the sensitive populations will be hit hard like the chubs. but what i whitnessed on the river in my mind was unrelated. as i would find it hard to imagine any volume of carcases flowing out of a stagnating creek....perhaps, but i dont see how.

so lary what would you say was the main cause off your luck this year. was it purely a relation of effort and time spent???

7. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota

8. nuthinlikeacat

nuthinlikeacat New Member

State:
    Eden Prairie, Minnesota
    Its been a great year for me, especially since I havent been out as much as years past. Still hoping to put a 50 on the beach yet this year, but who knows. I figure I have about a solid month left to do it. With the water level rising, I think my chances are pretty good.

Going to put a full day in tomorrow on the river...from noonish till I pass out in the chair. Hopefully something big will swim my way. :smile2: