Minnesota river bite?

Discussion in 'MINNESOTA RIVERS TALK' started by dano40, Jun 3, 2009.

1. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    Going up to the Minnesota river next week and was wondering if the cats are biting? Thanks for any info.

2. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    For some people they are biting for others (like me) they arent.

3. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Ditto :smile2:

4. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I met a guy at the launch on the county road in New Ulm last week, he said he caught a small flathead and small channel in the past couple days. I caught about a 3 lb channel cat that day just south of the launch. The river is down pretty good now, but still deep enough to fish.

5. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    going in the morning I'll let you know how we did when I get back.

6. dano40

dano40 New Member

State:
    Spirit lake, Iowa
    caught a lot of channels and a few small flathead 5-15 lbs.

7. catfisher77

catfisher77 New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Went out on saturday night, had some luck. Hooked into a 40lb my first this big ever. after this one we had a few more runners that were just hanging on to our bait. the river is lower than i have ever fished it. i was motoring between 1ft to 6ft of water average. the plus side of this is that the deep holes are way easier to find. good luck to all and i will post pictures of my fish soon.

8. catfisher77

catfisher77 New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    ok here are my pictures from Saturday night, enjoy.

Attached Files:

9. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Nice fish! Yeah the spring rains never came this year and the river had been the lowest I have ever seen it in the spring. The lower water conditions made it tough....for me at least.

Just a tip though if you are going to release the fish you should hold it by the jaw and not the gills.

Good Luck!

10. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Was fishing the Minnesota river last week in Mankato, in Sibley Park. At New Ulm and at the junction of the Blue Earth river it seems the Minnesota was not moving. Seems the only thing that had any water was the Blue Earth river. Sand bars easy to see, but they will change with a good rain. Hopefully the rain this week will bring the river up.

I heard a rumor that there was a 100 lb catfish released in the river somewhere between Mankato and New Ulm.

11. The J-Man!

The J-Man! New Member

State:
    St.Paul, MN
    That's a good one.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  12. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota

lol Thats one heck of a rumor. :smile2:

13. cody14

cody14 New Member

State:
    minnesota
    Going tomorow down by grainite falls. Right around where hawk creek meets it. Any tips? Any good shore spots anyone would like to share? Will let you know how i do. Thanks guys

14. mudd

mudd Member

State:
    iowa
    wld you post some reports please.am thinking about taking the other half and my 1872 sea ark up there for some flatties if the water isnt to low and the fish are biting.thanx alot.

15. cody14

cody14 New Member

State:
    minnesota
    Water was quiet high were i was caught 5 channels biggest being about 6lbs. Used dip baits with furry thing.

16. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Water levels are way down... We are in desperate need of rain in this neck of the woods... If you have a Jet motor you might be able to navigate... otherwise bring a couple extra props... The river has been eating alot of them this year.
    The bite has been slow, we have had some cool weather throwing the bite off, though temps are coming up.
    Be careful and take it slow if you come up... The fish are there.... just have to find them.
    Good luck

17. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    As Larry said things are a little slow but fish can still be had. Its been a late bite. Not much season left this year.

8/12 new PB 47lbs

Attached Files:

18. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Nice fish Rob.... Congrats on the PB!!! YOu were due for a HOG... its been awhile

19. Dave L

Dave L New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Rob, Nice PB! Congrats on the catch.

20. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Thanks!

Yeah I was due for sure. Done a lot of fishin but not a lot of catchin this season.

Larry, give me a shout of you wanna get out some night.