Minnesota River at Mankato

Discussion in 'MINNESOTA RIVERS TALK' started by BIGMO, Jun 18, 2009.

1. BIGMO

BIGMO New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Ill be going to the Minnesota river next week also. I talked to my bait guy and he said they were catching quite a few flatheads. can you guys give me an idea of boat ramps or river access that isnt at each town? i know every town, judson, le suer, etc. all have a boat ramp (which is cool) but are there any in between these towns? What are the best creeks or rivers that feed into the Minnesota in the judson, new ulm to le suer area? Should be a great trip. weather loks hot and not rainy. sounds like the river is at 6'-0 usually its at 10'-0 when we go or flooded or dry. lol. Good luck to u guys.

2. BIGMO

BIGMO New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Also if you guy know of any "Catfishermen" freindly camping spots in the same area as like henderson to new ulm Id appreciate that info. By catfishermen freindly i mean they dont close the gate at 11:00 pm and lock you out and when they see a flathead with its tail cut off bleeeding out, hanging from a tree they dont look twice. lol. Sorry Im just now poppin this on you guys I just found out we are going so its been last minute.

3. DTro

DTro Active Member

State:
    Minnesota
    You had me right until the bleeding tail comment. :sad2:

Flatheads are for catching and Walleyes are for eating:big_smile:

4. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    There is a launch point at Johnson Park in New Ulm, and one on the county road just off Hiway 14 North of New Ulm. I can't recall the name of the park.

5. BIGMO

BIGMO New Member

State:
    Missouri
    OK just got back from Mankato. Fished the blue earth / minn river points and caught a nice 18#er and a nice 36#er. night before i caught a 10#er donw a bit from the points. We also caught some flats at new Ulm targeting the brushpiles. trip was cut short due to emergency but it was fun while it lasted for 3 days. Ill be ready again next year. thanks for the help.

6. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota

Sounds like a good trip.... What baits were working for you.

7. BIGMO

BIGMO New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We got all our bait from The Dam Store at Rapidan. Jim is the owner and sells the best wild chubs and suckers there are. They also just happen to sell the best pie I have ever eatin'. I mean the best, his daughter makes it now, the son David also works there. 2.60 a slice and you better get there early cause sometimes theres none left. God i miss that pie..... ummm anyway back on track.... we were using all chubs 7"-9" range. I got all my hits on the 9 inchers in 8-10'-0" of water, ya I know you hear that all the time but thats where it was. also i was fishing the channel side, the one they use for moving from hole to hole, in the heaviest current and caught them after 12:30pm. matter of fact about 45 minutes after the locals left and shut off their lights along that bank. The 18#er I did fillet (In Missouri we still eat Flatheads) had a big ol sack of eggs. Looked like the 36 had spawned out cause she was protruted in the coochie area. I cant remember does the female flathead make the nest and lay eggs and then the male comes in and fans them and protects them? anyway good luck guys.

8. BIGMO

BIGMO New Member

State:
    Missouri
    changed my avatar to the 36 i caught last week. said file upload failed but it looks like the avatar worked. I want to be sure i got my avatar right im in that drawings for that kik hiney Fishin Rod. sure as heck looks alot bigger than 36, i wieghed it on my old digitals cause someone stole my tournament digitals, so i assume it was corrrect.. Good fishing guys.

9. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Did you get a length and Girth? Sometimes that can help as a double check.
    Looks like a nice fish.
    For your avatar. I would crop and zoom in to get a better look of the fish in relation to you.
    way to go!