minn kotas and aluminum boats

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by fishstick, Mar 20, 2009.

1. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i'm not here to compare trolling motors. minn kota makes a fine trolling motor and i am posting this to share my experience with them. i have owned 3 minn kotas. 2 of them were the all terrain series that i ordered from bass pro and the other was a bow mount edge series that came on my present boat. i bought the all terrains because of the composite shafts after bending the shaft on my motorguide. the first all terrain that bass pro sent me sounded like a siren when i powered it up. i'd never heard so much noise coming from a trolling motor in my life. i sent it back to bass pro for an exchange. and when i got the new one it was the same way. so i ordered another motorguide with a metal shaft. whisper quiet just like the last motorguide that i had. when i bought my present boat it came with a bow mount hand control minn kota EDGE model with a composite shaft. this motor too has a motor noise that sounds like a siren but not quite as bad as the all terains. i personally cant stand to be on my fishing spot and being as quiet as possible and hear my trolling motor making noise. we have a minn kota authorized repair shop here in town and i took the motor off my boat and carried it to the repair shop for an inspection. the repair man hooked the motor up in his special vise and turned it on. i could barely hear the motor run. i told him how it was noisey on my boat and he explained to me that the composit shaft transimited motor noise(he said that all electric motors made this noise) like a graphite rod transimited fish bites. he also said that the aluminum jon boat that i had it mounted on was like an amplifier with this sound. well guess what. i'm taking the sound transmitter off my amplifier and going back to those whisper quiet motorguides. they are little more expensive but to me quiet is worth it.

2. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Makes me wonder if you could rubber mount it somehow....maybe put rubber matting between the bracket and the boat.....would be worth a shot before you spend the money on a new trolling motor.

3. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    it's got the rubber washers under the mount. too late---motorguide is on the way.

4. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    I have a Minn Kota all terrain. You can not hear it at all on my aluminum boat. But mine in not a jon boat, maybe that is why?

5. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have a MinnKota Edge 55# bow mount foot control on my Lowe 1652 aluminum jon. I didnt use any rubber mount pads or washers when I mounted it. I dont have any noise, it's very quiet.

6. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i dont know if bass pro had a bad batch or what but the 2 all terrains that they sent me were never mounted on a boat---i just plugged them in and they sounded like a siren----wasnt prop noise either.

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have had minn Kotas on tin boats for 25 years no sounds like that from mine. But I do use the rubber mounts on all of them also.
    Pete

8. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    i guess i've just had bad luck with the three that i have owned

9. sirdank

sirdank New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have an older minnkota on my 16' jon. Its older not sure what model it is

and its a transom mount. But there is no rubber just the wood on transom

and it is very quiet. Now I gotta figure a way out to mount a bow

motor and not make it look ugly.. lol

10. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    well guess what, i got my new motorguide varimax motor in and mounted it on my boat. when i powered it up it was just as noisey as the minn kota. i took it out of the mount to isolate it from my aluminum boat and it was still noisey. this is a variable speed hand control motor and when you turn it to low power the hum starts and as you increase the power it intensifies sounding like a siren going up and down as you increase and decrease the power. is there no such thing as a quiet trolling motor anymore or is it just my supersonic hearing. any way i put my old noisey minn kota back on and am sending the motorguide back for a refund. i guess i'll take my portable jump start battery with me and go shopping so i can listen to the motor before i buy again.

11. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Just thinking outloud here, Maybe call the boat manufacturer and Minn Kota and see if they might have some ideas. I reckon if you have had this problem, others have had it too and they might be able to give you some pointers.

Might be worth a try.

12. treemydog

treemydog New Member

State:
    Conway, Ar
    Billy, if what you are hearing sounds like a high pitched whine AND you the TM's you are buying have the electronic maximizer feature, it could be the pulsating current from the electronics causing the noise you are hearing.

If this is the case the motor is acting like a speaker.

The TM's without the maximizer feature could possibly be quieter but would not extend your battery life.

13. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    i have all terraain on my boat its quiet as can be but you gotta do what you gotta do.:cool2::wink:

14. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    yep, thats what it's doing, whining, and i do have the maximizer. the motorguide had the same feature on it. i may do like pip said and contact the mfg and talk to them about the problem----the all terrains were just 5 speeds though and they were both louder than the one i've got now. i need a QUIET trolling motor for drifting the shallow river that i'm fishing.

15. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    must have been a bad motor mine doesn't make noise?

16. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    what kind of motor u got tim

17. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Strange.. Never have had that problem whether it be hand control transom mounted minn kotas or bow mounted ones. I have been in aluminum boats with everything from 12v to 36volts. No noise at all. Even with the maximizer there deadly silent. I guess it could be the kind of aluminum that they built the boat out of if it's amplifying the noise.

18. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    crazy it's not the boat so much as the motors. i've taken the motors out of the brackets and they still whine.

19. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Billy, just a shot in the dark here. how heavy of a gauge wire are you running and how far is it from the trolling motor to the battery's? Maybe try hooking the trolling motor up directly at the battery's. Something has me thinking that it might be lacking amparage, being that you have tried several different motors.

i might be going down a dead end road with this, but might be worth a try too. Possibly a corroded connector? bad connection somewhere.

the reason I bring this up is, years ago I was having some troubles with one of my trolling motors. Was running factory 8gauge and pulling my hair out trying to figure out what was wrong. I hooked the trolling motor up directly to the battery's and big difference in performance. I then ran 4 gauge with new connections and it solved my problems. My battery's were clear back at the motor. roughly 19' away. Evidently I was loosing a good bit of amperage with the smaller wire over a long length.

20. fishstick

fishstick New Member

State:
    Fouke, Arkansas
    mike, thanks for trying to help me figure this thing out. i hadn't thought about the current draw but when i hooked up this new motorguide i did hook it directly to a battery and still had the whine. i contacted minn kota directly today and told them about my problem and was told by a technition there that my interpretation of an acceptable noise level and theirs was probably different. (duh) i also contacted motorguide and their tech told me that i should send the motorguide back with a note about the problem and they would look into it. he also said that a whine like i was describing was totally unacceptable with their motors. i'm at the point where i will not buy another trolling motor without first listening to it run in the store.