Minn Kota Terrova and I Pilot

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by CatHunter24, Dec 1, 2009.

1. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    I know this forum is more suited for discussing finders and sonar, but I didn't know where to put this question frankly.

Anyway, I have been looking at the Terrova and the I Pilot and I have a few questions. It is my understanding that the I Pilot is a 300-400 dollar add on for the Terrova. I wanted to know if it is necessary to buy a Terrova with Co Pilot or Auto pilot or US then, if you are just going to buy the I Pilot anyway, because, you are replacing the brains of the unit when you buy the i pilot. I ask because a Terrova without the Autopilot and Co Pilot acessories is cheaper, and if I dont need them why buy them if I do purchase I Pilot.

Second Question, I know I Pilot can run courses you set off of GPS and record and store passes you make. This may seem dumb, but I wondered if it is possible now to sync the I pilot GPS with say a Lowrance HDS GPS to transfer way points, or try to head towards a recorded way point or trail on your HDS....it seems like that would be too good to be true, but someone told me it is possible to sync the units using ethernet. Any info on the I Pilot and Terrova would be greatly appreciated. Doubt I will get it anytime soon, but its a purchase I am looking into. :cool2:

2. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew

I-pilot will take the place of both Autopilot & Co-Pilot. Both features are located in the new I-pilot brain for the unit. If you want sonar in your trolling motor then you will have to still get one with US. US is completly seperate from I-pilot. I-Pilot is available for the Powerdrive and Riptide units as well as Terrova.

I-pilot will only save three courses up to two miles long in its internal GPS. You can't sync your HDS unit and the I-pilot for GPS purposes. But, you can sync the two units by ethernet for use in US "sonar" operation. At least with HB you can, I'm not sure about the HDS units thou. I hope there is a market for the used co-pilot and auto-pilot accessories. Because I'll have a couple for sale soon.:big_smile:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009

3. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Thanks, I think you already answered my question, but I think the only 55 Thurst model of the Powerdrive V2 that is pre-loaded with I-Pilot doesn't have US2. So would you then, have to buy a trolling motor with US2, and then buy the I-Pilot add on? I know if you add Auto Pilot or Co-Pilot it voids your warranty....is this the same with adding I-Pilot, and how difficult is it to add it, like is it an at home job, or do you have to have a technician do it?

Last Question, I have read that the differences in Terrova and PowerDrive V2 are minimal. Mainly that Terrova has bigger motors that go up to 101 lbs of thrust, and that Terrova has an easier deployment mechanism. The last difference I have heard of is that Terrova's co-pilot or auto pilot can be engaged from the footpedal, and PowerDrive has to be done by pressing a button on the head of the unit. Does this really matter with I-Pilot now? Also, i heard that with I-Pilot the foot pedal is completely replaced or useless on PowerDrive, is that true?

Basically to sum up my questions, lol, is Terrova worth the extra 300-400 bucks, or would PowerDrive V2 With autopilot accomplish all of the same things for less.

4. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew

I-pilot takes the place of both auto & co-pilot. I have never seen any Minn Kotas already preloaded with I-pilot, only with auto-pilot. If you want US2 then def buy it with it installed already. Aftermarket external mount sonar is askin for trouble. There is no way that is voids the motors warranty by adding Minn Kota brand add-ons to the motor. It will take about 2 minutes to unscrew the head unit and unplug the old and plug in the new brain.

Not much difference at all. Terrova is newer so there probally is a greater chance for add-ons in the future. Co-pilot is essentially just a remote control. On the Terrova you can use the foot pedal with the "remote" on the Powerdrive you can't. So yeah the foot pedal is usless with the Powerdrive. But, I have never had both of them hooked up on my Terrova. Kinda like a car with two steering wheels, probally not a good idea.:smile2:

You will have to spend $400 either way to get I-pilot. Getting either a Terrova or PowerDrive of the same thrust probally won't be that much different. Terrova is the newer model and looks a lil sleeker but thats about it. But again, next year they might come out with some add-on that only gear towards their newer models. Hope this helps.

5. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    It does help and i much appreciate it. There is actually a 300-400 difference in the Terrova and the PowerDrive Models....and I am not referring to the extra 400 for i pilot. I found this out after looking into it. A Terrova 55 LB Thrust costs about 800-900 bucks i believe....a power drive v2 runs about 500-650

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    You should be seeing about a $240 difference in the base price of a 55lb Powerdrive V2 vs the 55lb Terrova. Also, if you look around you might find them on sale right now, especially if you happen to look at Cabelas :wink:

7. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Does anyone know if the "retrace path" will also try to duplicate the speed of the previous run? I know there is a "cruise control" as a separate feature, but I'm wondering specifically about what it does when it's repeating a previous troll.

The reason I'm asking this.... on the compass based autopilot, for drifting on the river, we basically point the autopilot in the opposite direction from which we want to go.... it's fighting the current to slow the boat down. Isn't the GPS autopilot going to try to pull you downstream with the current when it retraces the course?

Now obviously you don't have to use the "retrace path", you can still just point the trolling motor in the upstream direction. I'm just wondering if / how useful the ability to repeat a troll will be when you are trying to slow the boat down against wind or current.

8. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew
    I hope the I-pilot duplicates the speed along with the track. But, I wouldn't put it past them to skip out on that feature. They need to release some "smarter" technology regarding the motors and gps ability to understand which way its actually going. Because as soon as you get a track saved on some water with current, its going to whip you around pretty quick and start follwing the previous saved track. On a lake the feature is going to be golden but I bet were SOL on the river.

9. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Yeah, I'm starting to think that they don't give a lot of thought to folks who float backwards down rivers when they design stuff, trolling motors and side imaging sonar alike. Retrace, Spot Lock, and Cruise Control will all be awesome at times on slower waters, though, and that includes places like the Ohio and Kansas Rivers.

10. awilco

awilco New Member

State:
    va
    Just installed and tested Terrova 80 45" yesterday with co-pilot on my tv-18 Tracker and do not know how I did with out it. Got the entire deal including the co-pilot on sale at GM for 650. Man beats the crap out of my 56lb MG in every way. Just my 2cents worth.

I did not get the one with the built in transducer GM did not have it in the length I wanted.

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I did find some more information on how the I-Pilot works with the Retrace. It does not record or try to repeat the speed of a previous troll, but you can use Retrace and Cruise Control in combination to set a speed. It will still be interesting to see how it handles slowing the boat down vs the current speed, but there seems to be some possibility that it could do the job well.

Reference: http://www.jasonhalfenoutdoors.com/ipilot6.html

12. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I love to drift fish so this is a must have on my list. I can't even count the number of ways I will use this in rivers and lakes. I think the "anchor" feature would be great for catching bait. My current trolling motor is less powerful than I would like at 42# but it is a PowerDrive V2 so I am going to pull the trigger on the I-Pilot and set it up. I figure even if I upgrade I still have to buy the I-Pilot so might as well get it now and see how it works on my current motor.

As far as Terrova Vs. PD V2 I can tell you a few things about the V2. The Terrova will be a lot easier to release, mine can be a pain. There is a release level ... be gentle with it. It looks like it is there to stomp on to release .. don't do that. It will crack and break .. don't ask how I know. As long as you are gentle and don't mind bending over to release it is something you put down and forget about. IMO the foot controls on the V2 leave a lot to be desired. The way they designed it, it seems like when you hit the throttle you accidentally steer left or right. I doubt that once I get I-Pilot I will use the foot control enough to matter though. I may order mine this week found it online for $339.

13. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    I pilot wont work with powerdrive unless it is a v2 or terrova with the round plugs. The flat plug PD are not compatible. :>(.......
    Response from Minn Kota:
    "no, unfortunately only V2 and Terrova series." will work with I-Pilot.

14. awilco

awilco New Member

State:
    va
    Have the Terrova 80 on my TV-18 Tracker and realy like it. Have the CoPilot and I control everything from the remote fob, never use the foot pedal except when I thought I left the fob in at home. Funny every time I bent over the boat would speed up. Took me 3 times before I discovered it was in my coat pocket! Would have went with the IPilot but it was not out when I bought the motor.

Redman

15. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Here is the lowdown as I'm about ready to buy one also as all i do is troll for cats.

Unless a fisherman has really done some research, there is little information regarding the use of a foot-pedal with the Minn Kota iPilot system. Currently only Minn Kota Terrova motors have the capability have both connected simultaneously and to easily switch from using the foot-pedal to the ipilot. The Ipilot for the Powerdrive V2 motors and for Riptide Motors must be installed in place of the foot pedal. In other words, take your pick regarding which one you want to use.

If you purchase a trolling motor (other than the Terrova) with the ipilot pre-installed, you will not receive a foot pedal with your order.

Why is the Terrova the only motor series that gives you the capability of easily switching from the ipilot to the footpedal? It has to do the how the Terrova was engineered. When Minn Kota designed the Terrova, they made it with the iPilot in mind. They head unit has a place to connect both the foot pedal and the ipilot, where the PowerDrive and Riptide Series only have a connection port for either the foot pedal or ipilot.

The Terrova also has a newly designed foot pedal and is digitally controlled.

Also, here are the best prices on the internet for these units:
    http://www.ebuyersworld.com/Minn-Kota-i-Pilot-GPS-Trolling-Motor-Control-System-s/672.htm

Hope this helps everyone.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
  16. Angler2007

Angler2007 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    There is a video on you tube that shows how easy it is to install and another that shows how to use the trails feature.

Does anyone have this feature and had a chance to use it. If, so do you like it?

17. mdavis

mdavis New Member

State:
    Iowa
  18. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I was thinking of going with the Ipilot on a Powerdrive V2 but now that I am reading I would lose the foot control I am starting to rethink it. I guess I got to figure out how valuable that foot control is. I don't do a huge amount of bass fishing but it seems like a foot pedal is going to be important for that type of fishing.

19. mmarcum6

mmarcum6 New Member

State:
    Tenneessee
    I have the PD V2 and installed the copilot last year. I have loved it and have not taken the foot pedal out of the storage locker since adding it. I know with the V2 you can still use the foot pedal with the copilot but don't think you would ever want to use it once you have used the remote. The remote has digital control which will allow you to make much smaller adjutments than the foot pedal does. The only down side to the remote is if you have a fish on and need to adjust the trolling motor you must use one havd to operate the remote where with the foot pedal you don't need too. I do know that there is a wireless foot pedal available as an add on feature and that might be something to look at if you are interested. Good luck on making the choice that is a good size investment, but it sounds like you are doing all the right research!

20. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Could I ask where you found it for $339. So far have found it new for $349+shipping. .... Always looking for a bargain.