MINN KOTA SERVICE ?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by vfourmax, Apr 26, 2008.

1. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    I have an interesting situation and maybe someone has had a similiar situation and offer some advice.

I finally installed and hooked up my MINN KOTA 24 volt power drive trolling motor on the pontoon today. After everything was installed and wired up I went to test the motor and when I fired it up I got a nice puff of smoke out of the rear of the mount.

Cut it off of course and took off the cover and it seems as if the control board is defective that was the source of the smoke. The unit will steer left and right and the motor will run at one speed but no speed control at all. only on and off.

Now here is the problem, this motor is brand new never been previously mounted until now and has never been in the water. I bought the motor from a guy that had bought it new and kept it for some time but never used it. I do not have any of the warranty paperwork and did not buy it from a dealer.

Anybody know whether Minn Kota is one of the companies that will stand behind their new defective product despite me not having all of the paperwork?

2. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    well that sounds about like my luck with the kotas. All I can tell you after a year of nothing but trouble is to call the 800-227-6433 and speak with Mike Neitzke (Technical Service Rep.) or send him an email at mneitzke@johnsonoutdoors.com

he is about the best one there to help you out and answer your question, send parts or line you out with a service center? GOOD LUCK

3. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    just got mine back from the factory repair center, had to put a new armature in it got it back in less then 24 hrs repaired and ready to go,, Did have to have the receipt with the date to get the factory approval for the repair, new Minn kotas have 3 year warranty mite be able to get buy with the serial number

4. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    you may see if there are any service centers in your area as well. I recently had to take mine in for some warranty work and they did ask for a receipt.. if i had it. Which led me to think if i did not have it they could run the serial etc.. not sure though.. good luck

5. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    Well I e-mailed Minn-kota about my problem with the trolling motor, they told me in the reply e-mail if the motor was new and had never been in the water to either take it to a service center if I had one nearby or mail it back to them at the factory to be repaired so everything sounds good at this point.

As I have no nearby service center I am going to mail it back to the factory for repair, I figure with shipping both ways and for them to fix it I will probably be looking for a two to three week turn around time before I get the motor back.

I went ahead and bought a new replacement (Another MINN-Kota 24 volt powerdrive) that should be here by the end of this week, ready to go fishing! I hate to have a new 650.00 spare trolling motor for a backup but sometimes ya got to do what ya got to do!

Just an update that as of right now Minn-Kota seems to be a company with good customer service that has no problem standing behind their products!

6. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    Probably have your repair fixed and returned before ya know it, I guess I should add that I didn't have any problem with the service center at all, just could not keep the motor I had at the time running, LOL, they replaced just about everything over the summer but the shaft and motor case. Guess you can just mount one on each side of your boat :wink:

7. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    You might be on to something there if the price of gas continues to spiral upward! lol!

Really as I think more about it with the economy going in the direction it is headed having a new already paid for replacement laying there if needed might not be so bad! Might not be able to afford one later on down the line if one is needed.