minn kota gets really hot

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by 234rick, Jul 27, 2017.

1. 234rick

234rick Member

State:
    IL
    Name:
    Rick
    I have an all terrain 55# 12 volt that gets extremely hot when I run it on high for a long time. It gets so hot I can not hold my hand on the foot pedal in the location of the electrical plug-in under the pedal. How I found this was I reach for the pedal to readjust it & my fingers went on the back of the pedal . I touched one of the bare wires & it burned like hell & instantly blistered my finger. The motor is hooked to the battery direct with only the motor wires. And I have a proper circuit breaker installed on the battery. My question is does this seem right ???

2. diehard

diehard Member

State:
    LOCKPORT ILL.
    wire to thin or bad connection

3. pikeintheboat

pikeintheboat Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Matt
    Nope that's not right. You shouldn't be burning yourself. How long AND what size are your DC power cables? What size breaker?

From Minn Kota site:
    https://www.minnkotamotors.com/Support/Battery-Selection---Rigging/

4. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Its probably a bad connection---maybe where a plug is plugged onto a post====probably see it---probably heated/burnt wire at the connector?

5. 234rick

234rick Member

State:
    IL
    Name:
    Rick
    The wires are the factory wires . The plug has been cut off & I have them wired right to a new battery. All the connections are new or look like new including the ones under the pedal. The breaker is an automatic reset type . Its the amperage the factory said I needed , I don't remember what it was something like 40 amps. So I take it that this is not normal ???

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
  6. 234rick

234rick Member

State:
    IL
    Name:
    Rick
    If it was a 40 amp that's less than what Minn Kota says so it should be ok.

7. 234rick

234rick Member

State:
    IL
    Name:
    Rick
    I checked & its a 50 amp auto reset made by Rig Rite. The foot pedal gets so hot I'm afraid it might catch on fire. Is there anyway to check a circuit breaker to see if it works ?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  8. pikeintheboat

pikeintheboat Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Matt
    Yeah but it isn't really that safe to do. If you suspect it it faulty you should probably just replace it. Can you call the Minn-Kota support number and see if tech support can help? Could you post a pic or 2 of the pedal and wires? How long is the battery cable?

9. WIcatter

WIcatter Well-Known Member

State:
    Plainfield, Wis
    I just recently read in another (newer) post a similar situation. Ended up being arcing in one of the plugs causing the heating up

Catpaw likes this.
  10. 234rick

234rick Member

State:
    IL
    Name:
    Rick
    Last week I was checking my connections one more time. They all looked good. But I noticed that the little bit of the negative wire I could see looked black. I peeled back the insulation & it was totally black all the way. So I cut off a foot & checked it was completely black clear thru. So I ordered new wire & terminals should get them today. I will give that a try & see if that was the problem. What do you think the black is it has to be corrosion right ??? The black goes completely thru the strands no cooper showing at all.

11. bvomark

bvomark Well-Known Member

State:
    Bartlesville, oklahoma
    May be corrosion started it by causing higher resistance. But the heat that you are talking about can also be the cause of the discoloration. The more resistance that is created the more heat will be generated.

12. 234rick

234rick Member

State:
    IL
    Name:
    Rick
    Ok thanks for all the replies. I got the wire in the mail its all soldered and put back together. I checked the amp draw & it was between 4.20 to 5.25 1 thru 5 speeds does that sound right ? That was out of the water.

13. muskyman

muskyman Active Member

State:
    Loudon TN
    Name:
    David
    ya my negative wire was all black on the end that was in the female plug , I cut that off, put some clean wire in her, good to go, fixed the problem.

Catpaw likes this.
  14. 234rick

234rick Member

State:
    IL
    Name:
    Rick
    Well that didn't make any difference still getting hot. I used 5' of duplex tinned marine wire & new fittings. I run this motor on high for 15 or 20 minutes. I'm I asking to much from it ?

15. BBK

BBK Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Kevin
    15-20 minutes on high is a lot of work, and a lot of time for heat to build up. It should be able to handle it, but at that work level it might be hard to visually see the issue.

You are only drawing 5a because it isnt in the water. If you have a multimeter that can go high enough you can check it while in the water.

Id guess water in the gear housing and the black connection was the weakest spot. The chain breaks at the weakest link.

16. 234rick

234rick Member

State:
    IL
    Name:
    Rick
    Nope my meter only goes to 15 amps. Are you saying I might have water in the motor ? Or the gear box at the top ?

17. BBK

BBK Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Kevin
    Down in the gears behind the prop, seals can go bad and let water in which dilutes the grease and causes it to overwork to turn the prop.

18. 234rick

234rick Member

State:
    IL
    Name:
    Rick
    Ok you've lost me. Do you mean bearings when you say gears ? There are no gears behind the prop of a trolling motor.

19. BBK

BBK Active Member

State:
    Iowa
    Name:
    Kevin
    Gear is behind the bearing, between motor and bearing. At least there should be, i dont think they are direct drive anymore... Bearing is just to keep the shaft aligned. Either way, it thins the grease/oil and corrodes everything else which causes the shaft to not spin freely when water (moisture) gets in, which causes the motor to overdraw and heat up. We are talking about drops of water here, not flooded.