Minn Kota Foot Pad help needed

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by martygreen, Sep 22, 2008.

1. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    I have a Minn Kota Powerdrive w/Autopilot,my foot pad has went out for it,the little CPU board in it crashed,seeems to be a pretty common problem with them.My question is will the new designed pads they have out work with the old design,from the pictures I have looked at in several sites,I cant tell if it has the same plug on it as the old style,I have tried to order the old style pad from a couple of places and they say they are on backorder,if the new style will work I would just assume buy it and see if they are sealed better.
    One other question is I see they have a wireless remote footpad and was wondering if any of you have tried it and the pros and cons of it,was wondering if it was worth the difference in price?

2. gofish98

gofish98 New Member

State:
    Lafayette Indiana
    hey marty , I've had both of them the old style was a flat connecter and the new ones are round . sorry they will not work with each other . I looked at the wireless ones and realy thought about getting one , but for 150 bucks I decided to use the wired one . now if mine was broke like yours , I would get the wireless one . I liked the ideal of being ably to use it anywhere in the boat . If your trollin , you could work your autopilot form the back of the boat wile you take care of your rods .

3. martygreen

martygreen Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Rock Hill,S.C.
    Thanks,I thought that plug looked round in the pics,just couldnt tell for sure.Yea I like the idea of the wireles one myself,I may go that route,I am gonna shop around,hopefully I can find a old style soon,right now I can use my brothers when I need to so its no real rush,Just amazing that as many of the old style is out there that they are so hard to find so quick.

4. Fishking

Fishking Member

State:
    KC, MO
    Name:
    Andrew

Check out the wireless remote. Works great and is small. They did have a special, if you bought the system they threw in a spare remote.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...netcon&parentType=index&indexId=cat21380&rid=

5. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    Since I got the wireless remote, I don't use the foot control at all. If you wear the remote on your wrist like a watch, you have control anywhere on the boat, and if you fall overboard you can bring the boat back to you.

6. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Never thought about bringing the boat back!! LOL I have one and love it. If you hook into a fish or you are retying you can just hand it to your fishin partner and he has control of the boat. My remote can be set up to be used on 3 different trolling motors. I can use mine to run his and vice versa.

Can even play with him when were close if he has his shut off. LOL

7. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I fished much of the time alone.Netting a fish with a rod in one hand,a landing net in the other along with wind and river current made a foot control most feasible at the time.I still would not have a third hand for the wrist control.I wonder.Will the remote work with any foot control motors?I can see their benefit at times and most all of the time with two experienced operators on board and available.

I have experienced and seen the danger and tragedy that can happen with a inexperienced trolling motor operator.They can cause quite a bit of trouble by a sudden bust of speed in the wrong direction.I have been thrown down in a boat and personally know of two who were thrown out of a boat.I have heard of two deaths from such in my lifetime.Inexperience and panic is often a killer in many things.

While I would love to be able to recall a boat at will,I still see a need for both hands.I also see a remote as a great aid when getting out of the boat and fishing places from the bank that are not easily fished from a boat.Also when fishing from a small boat that you have carried along with you in or behind a large boat.I have often done this for several reasons.You could have your boat follow along at will with no one aboard.Neat!

The benefits of both worlds would be ideal in some of the ways and waters that I have fished.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

8. gofish98

gofish98 New Member

State:
    Lafayette Indiana
    Alfred ,on the minkota you can use the foot control or the remote at the same time , the wireless unit has a male and female conectors . one plugs into the trolin motor the other plugs for the foot unit . So , when your hands are busy you can use the foot pedal and when you fall outa the boat :smile2:you can bring her back to ya!!

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    They sure picked a heck of a time to invent it.Why did they have to wait until I got crippled up and could not fish or afford it?Story of my life!:confused2: