Minn Kota AutoPilot problem

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by SeedTick, Apr 25, 2006.

1. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Guys, I bought one of those autopilot trolling motors with a remote control and I love it BUT it is hard to deploy. I know some of ya'll have them (I talked to ShilohRed about his before I bought mine) and I was wondering if they are all like that.
    It has a handle for the release latch and that works right but you have to push the motor forward from it's cradle and I have to kick it free of the cradle. I thought that it might free up some with some use but it ain't so far.
    Suggestions?
    Thanks in advance.

ST

2. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Mine still hasn't freed up in over a year of use. Silicone grease on the cradle where the motor rests helps but you have to keep putting it on, almost every trip. I keep a 1 inch dowell rod to help me get it started when its really tough. Sure hope someone can come up with some help with this. By yourself in wind or strong current this can really get to be a hassel and could be dangerous at times.

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Its all in how you deploy it. A for as me telling you its hard to do.
    But here goes, With your left hand press down on the Trolling motor shaft with your left hand. And with you right hand release the hand release. And the trolling motor is easy to deploy. It took me a while to figure it out.
    But that is what I do. And its easy as pie this way. If you are still having problems and will be at the national gathering i will show you.
    Or guess I could make a short video. but don't know how long it would take my PC to load it.
    Also spray the shaft down with graphite.(SP)

Pete

4. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I'm gonna go out and try it in a minute. I'll report back.
    Thanks

ST

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Well come on its been 4 minutes and still no report. LOL
    Pete

6. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas

You da man, Pete :worship: :worship: :worship:

I'm one of those guys that reads the owner's/operator's manuals and it said to unclamp, hold clamp open, grasp shaft near the head and lift. When I read your post I heard an audible click, if you don't press down on the head of the trolling motor the foot can't release from that cradle it snaps down in. DOH....Instead of using common sense I reread the manual. I also sprayed it down with silicone WELL now I have to be careful. You can knock out a tooth if you ain't careful.
    Rep coming your way.

Fishing Fred tell us if Pete's fix works for you.

:worship: :worship: :0a31:

ST

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Glad it worked for you. And your right if done the right way it will be easy.
    I'm one of these people that will stand and look at how its made and try to figure out the easy way. :)
    Pete

8. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Now I'm completely happy with it. I've not gotten to good with the foot pedal on it yet it is a lot different than the ones with the cable steering. The main reason though is because that remote is just so handy. I'm glad I went ahead and got it when I got the motor. When the bream spawn is over it will be time to get out on the river and learn to mark catfish with that new graph. The lake we are bream fishing is only about 5 or 6 foot deep (at least where we are at) so there ain't a whole lot to look at. So I'll probably have more questions then.

ST

9. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    It worked, thanks Pete ! Love that remote control when trolling also !

10. caatstalker

caatstalker New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    ive had mine for 7 yrs now its still like new, just found out i could put remote on it last yr . love it.