Mink ?

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by Sharpy22, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Sharpy22

Sharpy22 New Member

State:
    ohio
    do any of you have any suggestions on set types rite now im using a pocket water set but its not getting in the water and reaching in for the bait do you think a cubby type set would be better since its too cold for a water set. Thanks for your responses

2. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I am not sure what you are calling a pocket set .... to me they are basically the same thing ... I would have to ask ... what are you using for bait? and what type of water or area are you trapping? Is it a small stream a lake, river, marsh or what? .... Garry-

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    If the bank is soft enough, kick a hole at water level a foot or so deep and throw a duck head in the back of it. A small trowel will cit the same hole. Needs not be very big in diameter, and set your trap just under the surface of the water. Mink love holes and will go thru every pipe they come to. PVC or old black sewer pipe makes good sets also. Good luck.

4. Sharpy22

Sharpy22 New Member

State:
    ohio
    its a decent size creek good water flow been using a fish bait that i made along with a little bit of crawfish oil. As for the duck head lol i wish i could hit one lol been out of that for a few years lol but i see where your going w/it thanks

5. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Mink kill alot of cripple ducks. They'll kill for fun of killin. Fish will work and if there is any otter there it will catch him too_Or coon either

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    if you trap any muskrats or beaver, use their meat for bait. mink love it, and most folks don't use it for anything. you can also live trap mice in a minnow trap with peanut butter smeared on cardboard, then wired to the inside of the top of the trap so no one gets any freebies. check the trap before sunup, because it seems the mice get out easier in the daylight. maybe more motivation! shake the heck out of the trap and it will kill the mice, then use them in the pocket set. or trout heads. in utah, we caught most of our mink on high traffic areas. muskrats would run the undercut bank and make kind of a half exposed tunnel. mink ran these too. or if you can find culverts with muddy bottoms to show tracks. pile rocks up on the shallow or dry side and leave about a 6-8" gap, then set your trap there. if on dry ground sift dry dirt over your trap after you bed it. i have caught loads of mink these ways. if you can find old muskrat holes, not the houses, mink will set up shop here too. it's an easy exposed trap there at the beginning of the submerged hole, and the mink will drown pretty quick once caught. good luck- season's getting short!

7. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    A mink will hang upside down to steal bait.
    Don't let him.
    Shave the bank so he has no option but to get his feet wet.
    I've found that its a good idea to downsize your bait hole also.
    You can do that 2 ways.
    Just make a hole the size of a crawdad hole or make the smaller hole in the back of your larger hole.
    Either way the mink must get in the water to check out the bait.
    The best 2ya
    just