mink hole?

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by stinkbaitman, Dec 22, 2007.

1. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    today i was down by the creek and wandered by a hole with all kins of traffic in and out of it. its right next to where the ice starts and its about 3 inches across. i can see some water in the bottom but is this a mink hole or what?

2. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Sounds like it could be.
    Can you isolate any of the tracks so you can get an id?

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    it could be a mink hole, but you should first try and identify some tracks going in and out of the hole. most of the mink i ever caught were actually at muskrats holes or the runs muskrats make between a cut bank and the water. mink hunt muskrats all the time, so you can catch them on rat runs a lot if there's good numbers of mink in your area. also, a mink will make a home out of a muskrat hole after he kills and eats the rat. i would trap that hole anyway and see what you get.
    when i was a kid we would make a bow with a willow limb, then hang half an apple with fishing line about 8 inches off the ground. i would put a trap on every run leading to the point of convergence, where all the runs come together, and one trap right under the apple. i would catch rats on most if not all the trails until the rats started avoiding the apple. more often than not we would catch mink at these sets, i guess because of all the muskrats visiting them.

4. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    there is so much foot traffic in and out of the hole that all i can see is a dirty and wel traveled spot that funnels in to this hole. my fur buyer said it was probably mink. i set a 110 on the top of the hole.

5. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    My guess is that it's a muskrat hole. Like the others said though if there's mink in the area they will use it also. 3 inchs sounds pretty small though. A 110 will find out for you. Be sure to re-set it even if you catch several rats as the mink will be along sooner or later.

6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I grew up in central ark. on a minnow farm. Caught alot of mink by making my own holes along the water line. One of my favorite sets had a mallard duck head pushed into the back of it. Something about a mink that makes him want to go in holes, pipes etc. They cover a wide area so don't give up too soon, he'll be back usually within a week. Also what others have said, they love to dine on muskrats too.