Mink boards

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by beetle, Feb 19, 2009.

1. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    What do you use for wedges on your male & female boards for anyone who puts them on boards rather than wire? I bought a couple of boards this past season in hopes of catching a few mink but they did not come with wedges so I was wondering if there was a standard size wedge for each or what everyone else uses.

2. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Roger got 2 answers for you .... the first one is a home do-it-yourself solution ....

Mink Wedge from Bull Rushes

You only need a thick enough wedge to get it off the board. This is what works for me for mink. Go out to a patch of cattails (bull rushes) and cut some. Take the head off, then cut about 24 inches long. Peel the leaves off, the remaining stem is a very nice mink wedge. It is tapered and smooth. Too big of a wedge on mink makes them look not so nice.

Standard from wood ...

30" long, 3/8" thick and 5/8" tall on one end then down to nothing on the other end.

Garry-

3. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks Garry, I made one for the one a got this year out of 3/4" square wood and rounded one end. I was not sure if that was too big or not. I also did not know they needed to taper down to nothing. This info will help me for next season. You would think when you buy wooden stretchers new they would come complete or at least tell you what you need to have.

4. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio

Nope I looked at buying some boards for next year and found out you have to buy the belly boards seperately .,... that is a real crock .... like buying a car with no wheels ... Garry-

5. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

depends where you buy them from all the boards i own for misc. critters all came with the wedges

6. Wolfdog

Wolfdog New Member

State:
    Iowa
    next they will sell traps without the pan or springs.

7. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

every board i have ever bought form epler furs has come with a wedge

8. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Where are they located Tom, or do they have a website?

9. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member