Minimum first aid kit?

Discussion in 'Boat Safety' started by pinsley, Jan 28, 2008.

1. pinsley

pinsley New Member

State:
    VA
    What items should be included in a basic first aid kit for use on a boat?

2. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Its a lot easier to buy a premade kit and keep it updated than to start from scratch, and a lot of times cheaper too. If you have a boaters world, or some other camping/outdoor store nearby, look for the ones in a Nalgene or similar water bottle. It keeps everything inside dry and will float if something bad happens (or somebody with slippery catfish slime fingers drops it overboard while trying to get it open). I bought one of these from Boaters World:

http://www.boatersworld.com/product/338070055.htm

It even had enough extra room in it for my boat title and trailer registration. The waterproof thing was a big deal in my 14' jon boat as it has no dry storage. Great little kit, and even came with an emergency whistle. Heck, you could use the water bottle to bail the boat out if things got too bad:crazy:.

3. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Pat;
    First, WELCOME ABOARD THE BOC!:big_smile: You have just made a decision that is going to change your life for the BETTER! Should you ever need any detailed help just ask any member for help. If you have a service problem then fill out a "Trouble Ticket" and send it it. One of our Staff will get to it in the order it was sent.
    Now, to your question.
    My recommendation for a BASIC kit is as follows and remember I said "BASIC" so feel free to add other items as you see fit.
    1. A Waterproof, or at least water resistant non breakable container of some type to put everything in. It also helps it this kit would float or have a float of some kind put on it to help prevent loss. In fact, for my first aid kits I put most everything in various sized Baggies. This way if I fall in the water, get stranded in snow, mud, ect, not only is my kit protected by being waterproofed/resistant but everything inside is also extra protected! Trust me on this one as I have Been There; Done That!
    2. Any prescription medications you take. Depending on the length of you outing you might want to put in a 2-3 day supply of your meds, ... just in case. Some Tylenol/Aspirin over the counter reliever along with some Kayopectate {not the correct spelling! :-( } and whatever else you think you need for sour stomach and all.
    3. A tube of some Antibiotic Ointment, Hydrocortisone Ointment/Cream providing your not allergic to such medications, a tube of Anti-Itch cream of some kind.
    4. A basic box of CLOTH assorted band-aids. The plastic one will NOT work on wet or sweating skin!! Pay the extra few cents and get the CLOTH Backed ones!
    5. Put in an Instant Ice and Instant Heat pack too.
    6. Put a charged spare battery for your cell phone in the kit and keep it charged. Also put several quarters, dimes, nickels, for use in a coin operate phone should you have to beach somewhere and use a coin phone. Go ahead and take your cell phone with you and make sure it has a FULL CHARGE. Don't be chatting on it while your fishing. Invariably, you will need it and the charge will be gone if your using it to just chat with someone.
    7. A small bottle of GREEN SOAP, a couple of packages of tissues for the nose or small bleeding. Some cotton balls in a small baggie.
    8. Throw in a couple small bottles of water if you want for use in washing away dirt and all.
    9. Get and keep a Hook Removal Kit! Hopefully, you won't ever need it, but it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it!
    That should pretty much cover a Very BASIC kit. You can always add more if you need too. If you have any questions and know a trained EMT or Paramedic you can always get their advice too. :)
    Hope this helps. Also, since you don't have any "Reps" I am going to give you some to get you started.
    Remember, No question is stupid when asked in earnest! And if someone posts a question that you have an answer to then be sure to share it with everyone by posting it. :wink: That is a BIG Part of what the BOC is about!
    Again, Welcome Aboard! We are GLAD to have ya! :big_smile:
    Fraternally Yours,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post, start of the Reps]]]]]

4. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Duct tape, a small tube of Vaseline, and a small bottle of that alcohol gel hand wash.

You did say basic...LOL!!:wink::smile2:

Seriously, you will want to have more(and you should have more) but that will get ya by in most cases and IMO is the LEAST you should ever have.

The duct tape makes a fair bandage, you can rig a splint with it, even a tourniquet in a pinch.

Vaseline will cover a burn(let the burn cool first) or plug a small head or other small wound.

The alcohol gel makes a fair antiseptic.

All three have several other uses and are handy to have around anyway.

5. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I got to put my 2 cents in. I cant remember how many times I have cut myself in the shop or around the house. The sure fire bandage is a folded piece of paper towel and electrical tape. Electrical tape stretches, duck tape does not.

6. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Also just put a couple of those foil pacs of Alka Selser in your tackle box.

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    All good advice.
    Peroxide and triple antibiotic are a must.
    Other handy stuff is medical grade super glue. I have used it to fix cuts on several occasions. A few Benedryl and an insect sting / bite kit can also save the day...W

8. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I also threw in a snake bite kit and carmex along w/alot of th other stuff mentioned. Th old boy scout in me says always be prepared.

9. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    In the process of the surgery I was threw and the folks at the hospital scraping dead skin off my open wound, I got some ladicain ointment. { spelling wrong] This stuff absolutely deadens the skin around a wound and in the wound. What I'm saying is you could sew your own self up and not feel it. The prescription was refillable 3 times, we had it refilled once just so I could have a tube of that in the camper.

Hey I never have had to sew myself up, but I'll bet it would stop a throbbing pain. It was only 10 a tube with the insurance deal.

10. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    I purchased one of the pre packeged ones. They seem to have almost every thing I need.All I add is a bottle of maalox,a bottle of tylenol and the one thing every fisherman/woman should never never be without,( A LARGE ROLL OF TP.) With this you are pretty much covered,so to speak. JMO Allen

11. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I have a pre-made one for most ailments and injuries. However since we fish during the winter in cold-water a boating mis-hap can be life-threatning. I know this from experience from last year when my boat almost sank in a blizzard and no one could navagate the water due to 4ft plus waves. If i hadnt have had....a vaccumed sealed sterno and lighter to start a fire hypothermia would have gotten us. I have 2 beach towels, and extra gloves and a wind-breaker suit vaccumn sealed in case of water exposure. It saved our lives that day. I have bought a waterproof sea-bag and out it all in it and rolled it down tight and put in my storage compartment. It weighs around 10lbs and worth it's weight in gold:wink:

12. gpbakken

gpbakken New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    triangle bandage; gauze roll; small tube disinfectant or iodine or perhaps rubbing alcohol; pack of bandaids, little tube of saline. also bee sting pen (i'm allergic), roll of electrical tape, small very sharp penknife. last, small tub of baby wipes- the "real cloth" kind- these come in super handy for the inevitable cleanups that need to be done.

13. Fishbit

Fishbit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    1st Aid Instruction Sheets are included in the kits and should be added to any home made ones unless you pretty well trained, past the band-aid stage.

The best advise is about the prescription meds, make sure you got yours.

For people with major afflictions, wear a Medic Alert bracelet or tag.
    I've used my boat kit several times on myself and on people in other craft who either didn't have anything or didn't know how to use what they had.
    Good Luck Fishing and Fixing

14. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I have 2 first aid kits,one that my company bought that I had in my work truck,it's in a water proof box that holds just about every thing you need for first aid and the other is in a water proof box also and contains scalpel,suture kit,hypodermic needle,Xylocaine etc.I can and have done surgery out of this kit.

15. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    A pair of needlenose pliers to get the hook out of your back pocket. I have a nissan exterra and they come with a medical kit on the back hatch and Ive never opened it, going on 5 years now. I like the paper towel and duck tape method myself you can custom fit them that way, :wink:

16. brewfish

brewfish New Member

State:
    fl
    It's been mentioned already but I feel it's worth a second mention. Super glue can be a real life saver when you are hell and gone away from civilization and badly cut yourself. I'm not talking little nicks and cuts but rather the big nasty ones. That stuff works like a miracle when you can't stop the bleeding with other means.

Nothing quite as scary as knowing your a good hour ride away from the ramp and then god only knows how far from there nearest medical facility and your can't bleeding like a stuck pig.

I've had to use this once and was mighty thankful for having it around when i needed it.

I went to the ER that evening (hey i stopped the bleeding so that means i must be ok to keep fishing right? :0a1:) and the doctor told me that since it had been sealed up for quite a few hours that it would only do more harm than good to try and re-open the cut and stitching it. I made sure I was careful for the next week or two and it healed up just as well as if it had been stitched up by the doc himself.

17. dledinger

dledinger New Member

State:
    NC
    I disagree with a lot of what is posted here in this thread. Not that the suggestions are bad..they aren't....most are certainly items that would be nice to have. My opinion is that if I'm carrying first aid gear...I want it to be able save my life or someone elses. Bandaids and ointment can stay at home. What you need is Kerlix and Ace wraps and a pair of good paramedic scissors...four each of bandges would be a good start...

Speaking of sutures though...braided fishing line makes an excellent suture material....and you can do the procedure just dandy with a straight "syringe" needle. I have done it to myself...though I would not recommend it to anyone without medical training.

18. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I agree with the above.The average first aid kit is great for minor things.The minor things are a inconvenience,not life threatening.Few "first Aid kits" will save a life when something major does happen.I have had hooks in me 4 times.Not once did I go to a doctor and I did fine.I have gone for many stitches.This is a inconvenience,not life threatening.Most first aid cases are made for such and are of limited value for major trauma in my belief.

Several rolls of 3 M type Electrical Tape will wrap and stretch.A sealed package of "Maxi-Pads" are excellent for gaping wounds and a sealed roll of "Bounty type" strong paper towels will fold,roll or fit any wound.Stopping the bleeding is a major problem with bad wounds.These three things will control the bleeding in major wounds until professional help takes over.I hope you never need them.If you do,I hope you have them.

I and many others now are "Bleeders"due to blood thinner medication.We can bleed to death with very minor wounds.The paper towel and electrical tape keeps me out of the emergency room where the doctors have trouble stopping my bleeding.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

19. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I always use electriacal tape. It holds up way better than your standard band-aid and work very well when wet. Rubbing alcohol, electrical tape,bandages and a cell phone are the most important items in my opinion. Aspirin and other over the counter sickeness medicines(heartburn,upset stomach,motion sickness) may be a good idea just in case.I have gotten headaches out of the blue and have seen people get sick out in the boat when the waves are movin. They can make a big difference.

20. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana

Attached Files: